Hypo Yellow Rat Snake?

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to this. I recently got a nice Rat snake, he was sold as a hypo yellow rat?, I’m not very familiar with rat snakes though

4 Likes

That is a hypo yellow rat alright. The normal yellow rats have dark stripes, and he isn’t an albino. And a fun fact, that is the same species as a black rat snake (Eastern rat snake) and it is just a different color and pattern due to the habitat they are from in the wild.

4 Likes

Thank you, I thought so but don’t know a ton on rat snakes. The seller is known to be reputable, but it never hurts to have a second pair of eyes.

I’ve read that. I’ve been trying to find good info on them but it seems hard to find.

Would you like some tips on care for them? I have a albino striped black rat that I have done a ton of research on and know as much info as I could find (plus experience with the wild ones when field herping).

2 Likes

Absolutely! I’d love to learn more about them

I am going to go ahead and paste some info about them that I have posted in my own thread about by snake. Much easier than typing all of it out again.

By ambient temps I mean no hot spot, and don’t keep them at anything over 86°F. Sometimes people will say 90°F but that is too hot for them. Once it gets that hot outside most of the time they will be hiding from the sun, and staying in the shade. A lot of the time in their range (a large portion of the U.S. and in some of Canada) it won’t stay that hot for long.

2 Likes

Thank you :+1:t2: