Hypsiglena torquata

About 7-8 years ago I came across a pair of snakes at an expo. The vendor told me they were called night snakes and after a bit of research I believe they were Hypsiglena torquata. They were the coolest little snakes I have ever owned and I’ve been desperately searching for more ever since. Sadly, I’ve not seen a single one, nor does anyone seem to know much of them. I’m posting here in hopes there’s a breeder out there I’ve missed with these snakes, although at this point, I’m almost willing to go with wild caught (the first pair I had were wild caught most likely).
Any info is much appreciated!

5 Likes

What you should do is go to the main MorphMarket site and check out the Colubrids section. Do a search for “night snake”, the scientific name, and related terms. In the sidebar, change the availability to “Any”. That will show you anyone who has previously sold the species and thus give you some starting points of inquiry. On the forum, we can’t point you to a specific breeder publicly, as it violates the community guidelines on advertising.

7 Likes

Thank you! It gave me a place to start. Crossing my fingers it leads somewhere

3 Likes

I decided to do a little search myself out of curiosity and managed to find something under the name of a night snake. This one mentioned that it was a mexican night snake and a form of rat snake. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I doubt you’re going to find a breeder in the marketplace. They’re produced pretty rarely and not a lot of people in hobby have them.

2 Likes

I saw that one as well. Definitely not the same species, but I sent the seller a message anyways. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been discovering. Not gonna stop looking though! :muscle::sunglasses:

3 Likes

We have a native species of night snake here in southern California, Hypsiglena ochrorhynchus nuchalata, I believe is the species we have. I love them! Always a treat when I find one.

Sadly they’re not popular in the pet trade. I’ve never heard of anyone breeding them, so any you find for sale are likely to be wild caught. They’re awesome little snakes though.

3 Likes

@felicitygrace, if you ever do find a breeder, I’d love it if you messaged me! I would love to have a CBB night snake. I’ve always thought they’d make amazing pets. The wild ones I’ve found have always been so chill and easy-going, almost curious. Did you find them easy to keep? I’d be interested to know more about your experiences with them.

3 Likes

They were so inquisitive and unafraid! I would open the door to their cage and if I waited a minute, they would come out on their own. I believe they are crepuscular/nocturnal but they were always out and exploring their cage. I housed them together (no problems, but I would change that if I could do it over again) in a 20gal and they explored every bit of it. They would take the occasional pinkie, but I fed them mostly lizards and sometimes crickets. I only had them for about 2 years and then had to sell my whole collection after a big move. Never had any problems with them.
At this point, if I get my hands on a pair I’m going to do my best to breed them :grimacing:. I’ll definitely let you know!

3 Likes

I was curious what you fed them, since I was under the impression they mostly ate lizards and insects. Feeding lizards wouldn’t be easy for me as I have no good source for them. I wonder if they’d do all right on mostly pinkies and insects (assuming they’d accept the pinkies reliably). Were yours picky eaters?

3 Likes

The vendor told me they were taking pinkies, and they did once in a while, but only if I rubbed them down with a lizard. I had easy access to lots of different foods, so feeding them wasn’t horrible.

2 Likes

Supposedly they can live off pinkies IF you can get them to take them lol

2 Likes