I hate this season (Clutch 6)

Personally, I tend to fast them more during the summer or post laying (one small rat every 7-14 days), then feed one small rat weekly as breeding begins and females start showing signs of follicular development. When they are ravenous approaching OV I might offer a small rat two times a week unless she begins to look overweight. I would be hesitant to restrict food before a developing female reaches OV, after which of course they won’t feed at all. This has just been my method/experience thus far and always subject to change…

1 Like

I’m not sure what the benefits of fasting them at all is? And why would you want to withhold food to a female who just laid?

1 Like

It’s just another cycle that you can run like temperature humidity or light. Some believe that there is a benefit to all of these, and some don’t.

It helps mimic what would likely occur naturally in the wild and prevents obesity (which is sadly all too common in BPs). Their bodies aren’t designed for constant food intake, and it will likely help keep them from going off food randomly.

1 Like

I’ve been keeping ball pythons almost exclusively for 7 years and they will all go off the feed at some point on there own. Personally I’ll let them decide when they want to fast. In my opinion a building female needs the food for egg production.

1 Like

In the wild they lay healthy clutches without a large amount of food constantly available, so it is unlikely that they need as much as you think. And from the sound of it, @t_h_wyman has been doing it this way for more than just this season. I know he fasts most of his snakes (if not all) from his past posts.

In the wild egg survival rate is dramatically less.

Right that’s why I asked Travis why he does a voluntary fast period.

I love that there are so many different ways to cycle a season. It allows for personal preference to set in, and allows us to provide the best possible care, while others do the best possible care differently.

2 Likes

I agree, it’s great because you can learn so many different things and even try some yourself.

We don’t give our BP’S a set fasting time, they choose when & if they want to fast. Our BP’s are not overweight ATM and it is something we will monitor so thanks for that info. This is our first year breeding so we’re just finding what works best for our BP’S! But as long as they are healthy then I’m happy to leave the choice up to our BP’s

1 Like

Not so much “voluntary” as enforced LOL

But…

I cycle feed all of my animals as I believe it is better for their long-term health.

I have some animals that will eat pretty much any time offered. They do not fast. It is just easier for me to keep everyone on a seasonal schedule rather than “trust” them to turn off at their personal whim

I do not disagree with this, that is why I feed mediums to the females I am breeding and maintain that diet until I know they have reached a definite go/no-go point. My non-breeder females are only on smalls for maintenance/slow growth purposes

1 Like

That has a very navy type ring to it lol.