I just like snakes. Hello!

Hello there.
I’m a thirtysomething disabled at-home artist with a dachshund attached to me, and I’ve become besotted with reptiles as well. Years ago it was just tortoises who had my attention, and now it’s snakes too.
I’ve been researching and reading and looking for my perfect pet snake. I won’t be doing any breeding, but I just get so much joy out of caring for a reptile, and after years of not having one around I am ready to try again.

(Don’t worry, the Dachshund will have no access to the snake. She’d want to lick it. Nope.)

8 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forums! I could give some recommendations on some species of snakes if you would like? Also, what kind of art do you do? Luckily you just have to put the snake on a shelf or table and the dachshund won’t be able to reach lol.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I do a lot of different kinds of art and crafty stuff . I was trained as an oil painter and illustrator, but right now I mostly do sewing when I can, and spinning wool. As for snakes, I am currently becoming obsessed with African House Snakes. I was going to go for a Rosy Boa or Children’s Python, but the House snake I was introduced to changed my mind.
My future setup space is a sturdy little desk that the dog won’t be able to reach (but if she’s good I will probably lift her up so she can see what’s in there, away from the glass so the snake doesn’t get spooked.) Thank goodness for small dogs with short legs!

1 Like

Feel free to post some of your art and crafts.
I have a rosy boa, but they are rather boring given they are slow and usually inactive. House snakes are great, but I will recommend an Arizona mountain kingsnake since mine was my first snake over a decade ago. I have a care guide for them and Clint’s reptiles on YouTube just did a video covering them. Honestly an easy and smaller species.
I personally have both a white GSD and a mini blue tick beagle. I have to keep my snakes in rooms with the door closed to keep my GSD away from them. Her prey drive is way too strong. My mini beagle can’t reach anything though.

1 Like

Hello and welcome :smiley:
Ohh I love arty people
Would love to see your art
You’re daxi sounds like a cool little doggo too
Enjoy the forum, it’s great. Everyone is so friendly here

2 Likes

Welcome to you! You’ll find lots of friendly people here, and lots of beautiful snakes (and other creatures) as well. Between the various forums and the Morphpedia, not to mention the advertised animals, you’re in for a treat. I’ve had corn snakes since 2008, and I do dearly love them, but I also enjoy browsing through many other species. The people are the best. We look forward to getting to know you, your attached dachshund, and your future snake.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! Would love to dee some of your art!

1 Like

Thank you everyone!

Here’s the doggo!

1 Like

Welcome! I grew up with dachshunds and my mom still has them. They’re awesome little dogs (though one of my mom’s current dachshunds is over 40 pounds, so they’re not always so little!..and he’s not fat, he’s just reeeeaallly long, haha).

I’m also a big fan of snakes, definitely my favourite type of reptile. I’ve kept a few species of lizards in the past, and while they were awesome, there’s just nothing that compares to snakes, at least in my humble opinion. The way they move, the way they feel in your hands, the way they eat, the way they shed… it’s all just so awesome, and so unlike anything else on earth.

African house snakes are awesome! I’ve never kept them myself, but they’re definitely something I’d like to have in the future. I’m normally more drawn to pythons and boas, but house snakes are some of the few colubrids I’m really interested in keeping (possibly because they kinda look like tiny pythons, haha). From what I know about them, they’d be a pretty solid choice as a first snake in terms of size, temperament, and general husbandry.

I have cats, and even though I can’t really keep them away from the snake enclosures, they don’t seem interested in them at all. And the enclosures are super secure, so they couldn’t get into them if they tried…but they’ve never tried to mess with them. I’m not sure they even realise said enclosures contain living animals. They’re more interested in my chinchilla, but she’s in a secure cage, plus she’ll spray them with urine if they get too close, which quickly deters them from messing with her, haha.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! I was just like you about wanting to jump in at some point and get a snake because they had my attention haha. I hope you find your perfect snake soon and share it with us! :grin:

1 Like

You have definitely found where a bunch of reptile lovers congregate. Welcome.

1 Like

Now all we need is more snakes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I will take some more boas right now lol :joy:

1 Like