I need help with school research

I am doing a presentation on pythons and I need to know around how many are owned in the U.S.A dose anyone know any good sources I can use to get the answer of my question because when I do a google search all that comes up is Burmese pythons in Florida and I have spent hours trying to find something and I have not found anything so I am asking for you guys if you know any good sources

1 Like

When you look things up use terminology like “How many pythons are kept in captivity in the us” or “How many households are estimated to keep pythons in captivity in the us”. Depending on whether you’re doing pythons or a specific species then use different keywords and mix in different synonyms like “exotic pythons” or similar.

1 Like

When you say “how many” are you asking for the number of animals in captivity? Or are you asking about how many different Genus/species are in US herpertoculture?

2 Likes

i am talking about in captivity

Each section of the MorphMarket classifieds gives a total number of animals for sale in that category so you could start by summing that number together. And then I would increase it by ~30% or so to account for all the breeder animals that people have.

It is not going to be spot on but as a really rough estimate it probably gets you in a reasonable region

3 Likes

ok thank you for your help

So you’re saying that 77% of pythons have been sold on morphmarket? That seems like a lot for a single platform. Also that’s for breeder animals, so I’d think in total you’d want to take like 85-90% of the households that have pythons and add that to the total.

1 Like
2 Likes

Pretty sure I said:

MorphMarket is the largest reptile classified site. It is also the only one that actually trends the number of animals in a nice neat spot. I am sure you could wast hours and hours and hours trying to count individual ads on Fauna and Kingsnake but I am guessing no one really wants to do that.

MorphMarket caters to all types of keepers. I have sold more than a few ‘just pets’ on here. Additionally, I would dare say that most of the animals listed here are the same ones being carted around to expos and sold on tables to pet keepers. You also have to figure that a decent portion of the listed animals end up overseas. And also that a number of them will also perish.

Again, it is not perfect, I never claimed it was.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t downplay the influence of big box stores like Petsmart and Petco, though. They sell loads of snakes, too!

Definitely high but it’s a starting point

1 Like