I need help with Tub and heat solution

People have told me to use tubs to quarantine ( my snakes are from 2 different breeders. What im having trouble with is finding a UTH that will work on the plastic tubs. My current UTH says its only for use on glass and im not finding ones for plastic.

Im thinking now of just keeping my 2 36x18x18 tanks i have and just separated. Im in panic mode because my animals are due to arrive Friday and i have 0 heat solution for plastic.

Im new to snakes so i have little experience with them and every internet site is either vague or contradictory which both leave me frustrated. Ive never had animals that use tubs ive only ever used terrariums. Some of the animals i had really didnt have this difficulty. I think yall snake keepers are probably more knowledgeable than the internet, look guys i just looking for straight answers i dont want to go buy tubs and a bunch of useless things that wont work. Yes my pets are very important to me for many reason and i do want all my pets healthy.

2 Likes

I use the the heat pads with a thermostat, even if it says glass.
All heat pads will say to use glass because unless you use it wrong (no airflow) it will be ā€˜fineā€™. Because an unregulated heat pad will pretty much always melt plastic, they canā€™t recommend use that way. Remember they can clock in at 130 degrees.

Even heat tape will melt plastic if it is not on a thermostat. As long as you keep the thermostat comfy at say 92 max, you wonā€™t have a problem. Just remember to sandwich the probe between the plastic and mat.

3 Likes

I do know that last part about the probe. I bought only pads with thermostat and they will be set max of 85Ā° and i will regularly check also with a ir thermometer the last thing id want to do is endanger my snakes or myself by burning up. Thanks for the information because i was like in panic mode. My inverts ate in glass so i never had to worry and my spiders i just keep at room temperature. Im glad this place is here with knowledgeable people because yeah the internet is way to contradictory. Thanks again for this info now i can feel more comfortable now.

3 Likes

Me too. On some, I also have a small air gap betwixt the UTH and the viv because the viv is slightly elevated by small blocks on the sides.

Iā€™ve got one critter keeper type thing which has a small heat mat actually stuck to the back of it in one lower corner. It was given to me that way, and after checking it without an animal, it was safe. Iā€™ve had it for years.

Iā€™m sure you know this, but do be sure and check your setups for at least 24-48 hours before you put your snakes into them. Kudos for making sure everything is right!

2 Likes

I definitely think if you have a thermostat then it is fine to use an UTH. I will say though I personally have used both heat pads and heat tape. I prefer the heat tape. I like that it doesnā€™t adhere to the enclosure, so I can remove it and reuse it. Also I find that I get more consistent temps over the tape, but that could be because I use a proportional thermostat.

2 Likes

Good point that heat tape is another option. Heat cable, too. Itā€™s definitely more convenient in the long run not to use the adhesive type of mat. I literally only have that one which is affixed to the viv permanently, and I got it that way. Riley is absolutely right; that sticky stuff real is permanent.

2 Likes

What do i search for as far as the tape? And how easy is it for a novice? Im definitely open minded and listening to people who have tons more experience. Im just so afraid that im going to make a mistake, its like being a 1st time mom. We worry about every what if, second and third guess ourselves.

1 Like

I just use regular heat mats on both my Sterilite tub and my PVC enclosure. So long as you have it attached to a thermostat (which you should do anyway), I donā€™t see it causing any issues. I have found that the adhesive on the pads doesnā€™t always adhere as well to plastic, but thatā€™s easy to solve with some heat-resistant foil tape. I also put those little rubber/silicone adhesive feet on the corners of the tub, so thereā€™s a bit of airflow underneath between the heat mat and the surface the enclosure sits on. Many heat mats come with a few of those already, though you can also buy them very cheaply online.

4 Likes

I got a tub and heat set to 85Ā° i put in a hide which i made and i will put some fake plants on the hide so he can feel a bit more comfortable in quarantine. I just use paper towel on the tub bottom so i can easier see if any issues arise and for easier clean up.

I know i feel a lil guilty not putting him in his permanent home but once the quarantine is up he will have a very fulfilling enclosure. Im so worries im doing it all wrong.

Yes i have a water bowl for him i just didnā€™t put it in the picture.

Im here to learn and if im doing something wrong please tell me, my babyā€™s health and well-being is my highest concern.

4 Likes

Iā€™d definitely cover up the hide to make it as dark as possible, and also add some extra cover/clutter to the rest of the tub, so he can leave the hide without feeling too exposed. Also be sure to check the actual temp over the heat mat with a temp gun (if you havenā€™t already), you often have to set the thermostat temp a little higher than the temp you want, since the heat has to travel through the bottom of the container. I think with some extra cover, the setup will be just fine.

Youā€™ll also want to leave him alone and let him settle in for a bit before messing with him too much (beyond doing a basic wellness check of his body), as heā€™s likely been through some stress to get to you. Itā€™s best to give them some time to decompress and get used to their new surroundings. Exactly how long that should be is a matter of some debate. Most people recommend 10-14 days, but opinions vary (just like everything else in this hobby, haha). I usually like to wait 5-7 days and then offer a meal. If they take the meal, Iā€™ll give them a couple days to digest and then start with some short, gentle handling sessions. If they refuse the first meal, Iā€™d probably wait at least another week and then try feeding again. I also base it off the snakeā€™s behaviour. If theyā€™re hiding all the time and seem really scared of me, I might wait longer to offer that first meal. If they seem more bold and relaxed, I might move up the time table for that first meal. But once theyā€™ve taken a meal and had a couple days to digest, thatā€™s a good sign theyā€™re settling in well and you can start short handling sessions.

And also try to relax a little and enjoy having your beautiful snake! I totally understand wanting to do right by your animal and know that all the varying opinions and contradictory advice in the hobby can be stress-inducing, but most snakes are pretty low-maintenance so long as youā€™ve got a few basics covered. So much of snake-keeping comes down to personal preference. There is no single ā€œright wayā€ so long as youā€™re meeting their basic needs.

4 Likes

Oh, just one quick thing I just noticed: Iā€™d make extra sure that thereā€™s no exposed sticky bits from the tape on the hide. Removing tape stuck to a reptile can be a bit tricky, so itā€™s better to avoid having tape stick to them in the first place. I prefer to avoid using any sort of adhesive inside my enclosures, though lots of people use various forms of tape/adhesives inside enclosures with no ill effects, itā€™s just something to be aware of and careful about. Iā€™m assuming you lined the hole with tape to cushion any sharp edges. Just be vigilant to make sure it doesnā€™t start to peel away and expose the sticky side.

3 Likes

I agree, if the tape is hot from the heat source they could peel off. When the snake is out of the hide I would recommend taking the tape off. You could either melt the plastic to make it smoother or use hot glue (which shouldnā€™t get anywhere near hot enough to soften, but a high-temp glue would be the safest).

3 Likes

This is all very helpful. I have my baby House Snake living in a bin, and Iā€™ve never been quite sure how warm to set the thermostat to get the right in-tub heat for him during day and night. Iā€™ve got it to the temps it is at now via a lot of tweaking and fiddling.

Heā€™s just too small to go into the bigger enclosure I have for him, which is little, but still too big for a soba noodle snek for as long as another year, maybe even two. He needs to grow first. But itā€™d be the perfect size for a young Ball Pythonā€¦ >.>

3 Likes

I put the tape only to protect the snake from any possible injury from rubbing, i did sand it a bit but i will of course be monitoring that i put aspen shaving in his hide so he is more comfortable i also got today fake ferm branches to put over his hide ( i originally thought of painting it but i dont want any possibility of him getting sick. ) i also put a branch thats long and low so he can climb and a small water dish as well. I do have a laser thermometer but it seems to be off by about 5Ā°. Right now he seems very relaxed and he is laying half in the hide and half out.

I keep my home pretty dark because i have photosensitivity because of my brain injury. Most of my friends and my caregiver complain how dark it is in my home i mostly use ambient light throught the curtains only im quite use to seeing in the dark.

4 Likes

I know that lots of people do paint bins like that to make hides, so there are paints that are safe (when allowed to dry completely), though since Iā€™ve never personally done that, Iā€™m not totally sure what type of paints are safe. I wanna say acrylic, but hopefully someone with more experience in this area can chime in on that subject.

Just curious, what makes you think your temp gun is off by 5 degrees? If itā€™s because itā€™s not matching up with the thermostat setting, thatā€™s likely because the bottom inner surface of the tub is a few degrees cooler than the reading from the thermostat probe (which I assume is sandwiched between the heat mat and the outer bottom of the tub). If thatā€™s the case, I would trust the temp gun reading and adjust the thermostat setting accordingly, so the temp on the inner bottom of the tub is where it needs to be. As I said, this often requires setting the thermostat a few degrees warmer than the temperature youā€™re aiming for.

It looks much better with the ferns and branch! Although Iā€™d still recommend adding some extra cover outside the hide. You could just loosely crumple some paper towels and scatter several around the enclosure. It may not look pretty, but itā€™ll be functional. Even if you keep your home dark, heā€™ll still probably feel more secure out of the hide if he has some physical clutter to conceal himself.

@erie-herps gave some great suggestions for smoothing out any rough edges on the hideā€™s entrance hole if you want to do away with the tape.

3 Likes

I will rework the hide after my boy settles in i dont wanna disturb him too much and stress him out .

I do have a thermometer and hydrometer that is showing an internal temp of 80Ā° which is my living room temp just a bit cooler . I have the probe sandwiched between the tub bottom and the pad in the middle. The pad is fully stuck to the bottom no gaps. I can feel that there is heat but as Rosy boas are California species they donā€™t need high heat 85Ā° is what im told. I will of course be watching everything a few times a day for his quarantine period and then so once i put him to his new permanent home. I keep him in my front room as i have the refrigerator, tv, game console and afternoon heat so it gets around 80Ā° i donā€™t want to keep him in my bedroom because i keep my bedroom in the 60s.

4 Likes

That sounds like a great idea! Paper towels are easy and i can change them out with the maintenance so it stays clean. In his permanent home i have way more space and i can make great hides for him with lots of foliage to hide him so he feels comfortable im also gonna wrap a lot of the glass so he doesnā€™t feel so in the open with clear glass. Im not ready or experienced enough for a biome but i can still deck out his home with lots of hides and foliage and branches.

3 Likes

I added crumpled paper towels and i put some sheets over the plastic hide to make it darker for him and i layed a few sheets as cover in the open spots so he can feel like he is more safe and secure.

Im taking everything you guys advise and im trying it, i appreciate it and hope i never become a know it all. I remember when i use to work in sales and someone would come to me and ask a question then argue to me about my correct answer i didnā€™t care id straight out say " if you know so much then why are you here asking me about it?" I never want to be ā€œthat girlā€ even 10 years down the road maybe someone has a good idea who knows?

2 Likes

I use the reptile basics heat tape. What I personally use size wise is the 21ā€™ā€™ heat tape but that is because my enclosures are 2ā€™ deep.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice about adding paper towels crumpled up and i used sheets to cover his hide and open areas. My boy came out of his hide completely hanging out under the covers. Since its only me i donā€™t care as much about how it looks compared to his health and comfort. Sasha finally gave up being so interested in Snowfall. I probably wonā€™t handle him much because i donā€™t want to risk Sasha hurting him.

4 Likes