I need to name my 2 black widows

I don’t normally name my spiders but i been thinking they need names. Im open to suggestions

3 Likes

Do you know their sexes? Or do you want gender neutral names?

1 Like

I shall give dark and edgy gender neutral names. Void and Abyss.

4 Likes

They are both females. Males do not live very long which is sad they really only serve to further the species then die. They live about 6 months where the females live about 3 years.

1 Like

I like cute floral names, especially on ‘creepy’ animals, so I’ll suggest Petunia and Buttercup.

3 Likes

I’ve always liked names that are kind of old-fashioned, like Victoria, Martha, Annabelle (just threw out some random ones I like).

I also like names from mythology. Some goddesses associated with spiders are Neith from ancient Egypt, Arachne (where we get the word “arachnid”) from Greece, and Minerva from Rome.

I also like names from literature. I feel like “Charlotte” is too obvious and over-used, though. Same with “Aragog” from Lord of the Rings (plus I feel that name is better-suited to something like a large tarantula). There’s not a lot of good spiders with names in western literature, haha. You could go for more of a femme fatale sort of character instead. There’s Salome and Delilah, from the Bible (and countless other adaptations). Medea and Circe (again from Greek mythology, though there are also lots of literary adaptations of their stories). Juliet and Lady Macbeth, from Shakespeare. I’m sure there are plenty of other literary/cultural/religious examples of women who led men to ruin, but I feel like those are some of the more obvious and well-known examples.

2 Likes

Darla and Drusilla. [Femme fatales from the Buffy/Angel verse.]

2 Likes