I need yalls opinion

hey i just upgraded my ball python into a 4x2x2 and i have a 40 gallon tub and i was wondering what animal would thrive in the tub does anybody got any suggestions

6 Likes

A Spotted Python?
A Rosy Boa?
A Kingsnake?
An Iranian Leopard Gecko?
A pair of Collared Lizards?

Just off the top of my head.

9 Likes

Sand boa
Sunbeam snake
Hognose
Garter snake
House snake
Rubber boa
Calabar burrowing python
Solomon island ground boa
Viper boa
pair of fat tail gecko
Pixie frog
Fire skink

Sorry that some of them are not common these are just what popped into my head

6 Likes

Also, one of the large toad species. Two individuals could easily live in there. I used to keep Rococo Toads in an enclosure that size.

7 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum @ilovehognosesnakes4551! That question has endless answer possibilities! However unless you get an adult of whatever you decide on, and depending upon what you decide, you may need to start the animal off in a much smaller enclosure until it grows into the 40 gallon tub.

Now here is something I discovered recently and it’s a Fire Skink. I have a tub equivalent to a 40 gallon tank, or there about, and I have been tossing around the idea of getting one myself. They are affordable, or at least I think so, and imho, they are pretty cool. And they only get to about 15 inches long.

So a fire skink is my suggestion……:sunglasses:

7 Likes

My recommendation like always is a hognose snake. They’re fairly active so they need the space, but they would also definitely enjoy the privacy of a tub. Of course a tank with an actual basking spot is always ideal, but a tub would do well for a hognose. Plus hognoses are just some of the best pets you could get in my definitely not biased opinion lol

Edit: I just noticed your username and now I think you would definitely agree with this suggestion :joy:

5 Likes

I’m not sure about the spotted python. From what I know they’re semi arboreal and need some climbing space to help maintain their mental and physical health. Correct me though if there’s something I’m missing.

6 Likes

I don’t personally provide my Antaresia with climbing space. While I would not describe them as semi-arboreal, they would certainly use low branches if provided, at least some of the time, but I don’t consider it essential. That being said, Antaresia are one of the newer additions to my collection (have kept them for about a year), so there is definitely room for me to learn.

9 Likes

I searched up some research papers on the lifestyle of spotted pythons and it seems that similarly to ball pythons, they are well adapted to both terrestrial and semi arboreal lifestyles. Neither one benefits them more or less, they do fine either way.

6 Likes

Maybe I’m a little partial but what about another ball python :grin:

5 Likes