I don’t know if I can say this but I have a
Cool snakes! I keep harmless snakes, and occasionally make mistakes. I have an escape now and then. You have no margin for error. Good luck! ![]()
(post deleted by author)
(post deleted by author)
Beautiful spicy noodles! ![]()
Its great you were able to find yourself a mentor, you will learn a lot, and develop strict discipline.
I don’t want to discourage you, especially since I personally know people who keep hots… and also as a keeper of medically insignificant Hots… if you’d even consider Tarantulas or Opisthoglyphous reptiles as “Hots”.
Just be mindful-
-is not to be taken lightly with Hots, even if you are under mentorship.
All it takes is one slip-up to seriously alter your life and possibly lifespan, even if you survive a bite and come out relatively ok those hospital bills will, metaphorically, bury you. Your life insurance and general health insurance will be very challenging to secure as well if you decide to continue to work with and keep Hots.
Edit to add:
It can also alter your social life- close friends, family, partners, etc. may not be comfortable being at your home unless you choose to house Hots in a seperate building, which is a whole seperate obstacle itself. If people live with you their life may be put at risk if a Hot escapes…
I wish you the best of luck!
That and having family and friends over to the house could definitely take some consideration. That being said I too wish you well with your journey. My reptiles are all harmless. I like communing with them. But to each his own! ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
That snake is housed in that tub?
That is a pretty small tub actually. I was so focused on the snake that I didn’t notice the tub size!?
This one is also quite small now that I’m looking back at the photos…
It’s not good housing non-Hots in inadequately sized bins, housing Hots in bins that are too small is asking for something to go wrong imo, let alone the fact that its not ethical.
I hope that you and your mentor understand just how quickly any snake can dart out of a bin that size and cause problems…
Yup! Ditto on that one too. Just because they are venomous doesn’t mean they don’t need room in the tub to stretch at least into an L shape…. They definitely don’t get quality time out of their tubs I’m sure…..
Another scary thing here. Heat lamp in a tub, which is balanced on a very creative tower of stuff, one level of which is on wheels. Someone dodging a snake is 100% going to tip that over.
And another – loose heat tape flapping in the breeze. That sort of sloppy thing is likely a habit. Sloppy habits lead to trouble.
Ouch! Dangerous things are being pointed out here @tgbbp72 Hayden, as well as the sizes of some of the tubs compared to the sizes of the snakes in them.
I don’t know how long you have been working with this gentleman but it appears most of the emphasis is centered on the “handling” process but the actual “keeping” is suffering in this situation. I would be just as wary of your mentor as well as the “hots”.
(post deleted by author)
(post deleted by author)
I’m curious how there can be that much “temporary” housing. What happened to the permanent housing?
(post deleted by author)