I told myself I would not keep anything with legs

And I have still managed to keep that promise

:crazy_face:

Lialis jicari

30 Likes

Those are so cool!

2 Likes

Very cool. What do you think of them so far?

3 Likes

I like them, but, like so many of the animals I keep, they are definitely not for beginners:

Obligate lizard feeders
Imports
NOT suitable for a tub

6 Likes

Lialis are so wild looking!! I hope they do well for you!

Out of curiosity, what do you do for your feeders? I have generally assumed people with obligate lizard eaters would breed their own feeders since buying wc anoles/geckos doesn’t seem ideal, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I buy feeders. I have/had a mourning colony but it is not particularly productive so it cannot keep up with the demand

6 Likes

Gotcha! Do you feel there’s a parasite concern with buying feeders? (assuming they are wc)

A mourning colony would have been my first idea if I ever got a lizard eating species, since most of the time I hear people complain about being overrun with them!

2 Likes

There is a bit of a concern, but when the balance is you have a living animal that is surviving with a light parasite load versus a dead animal because you have nothing for it to eat… It is pretty obvious where the balance falls

Most everyone that is overrun with mournings is not having to regularly and habitually harvest from their colony. Once you have to pull two to three animals a week as feeders, you start to see a net decline in population (unless you have a HUGE mourning colony)

6 Likes

Very cool addition

4 Likes

That’s true! Thank you for the insight. For now, I’m limiting myself to species that eat MRP and occasional insects, but eventually, I’d like to have a more diverse collection with some lizard eaters on my “wishlist”.
In short… always trying to learn what works for other keepers, so I can build off of that for myself.

Please keep us updated on these guys! I don’t see them posted very often.

4 Likes

Stop it! I am so jealous of you! Lol! Kidding! But seriously, did you just get them? And being imports does that mean they were bred out of the country? And if so do you still have to treat for parasites when you receive them?

Also, the head shape reminds me of vine snakes. You are right about being an experienced keeper with these guys 3 times over! As for me, I feel “experienced “ when my BPs eat weekly and for
that matter I get a warm fuzzy feeling when ALL of
my pet collection eat!!! But it doesn’t take much for me! Lol!

Thank you for sharing! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

1 Like

Those are so incredibly cool! They remind me of pipefish. Awesome species and pictures, thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Simply stunning!! I

I also see a strong resemblance to denizens of the deep. Several species, come to that. I know that most of society thinks of our more typical species here on MM as exotic. These truly ARE exotic. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

These are animals that were captured directly out of the wild and then legally shipped to the US by an exporter. So it is pretty much guaranteed they are carrying some kind of parasite

I did treat them, but it was an extremely gentle treatment because no one really knows about sensitivities and such with this species and I would, again, rather the animal be alive and mostly healthy while carrying something than dead because I poisoned it with a toxic dose of “medicine”

6 Likes

Yes I now remember you discussing the parasite treatment so it makes total sense. These guys are really neat!

1 Like