ID Help Buf?

Hi everyone!

This was my first time working with Buf and I could really use some help identifying dad and hatchlings. Pairing was Buf het amel, anery, motley X Coral Snow het motley. I bought the sire as a Buf, but I’m just not 100% sure that he is. I didn’t get any typical looking normal Bufs or Oranges, so here we are.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

This is the sire who was sold to me as a Buf

Here are the hatchlings

A - Anery

B - Snow

C - Buf RF? Unfortunately he just started to go into shed

D - ?

E - Normal?

F - Buf Anery or just Anery?

G - RF Amel?

H - RF Amel

9 Likes

Welcome! Those are some pretty hatchlings. I’ve never worked with Buf, so I’m not reliable to ID it. The dad looks it to me, albeit not the strongest expression I’ve seen in pics. But some of those babies sure look it, especially those suspected-Buf normals. The suspected-Buf Anery (F) is not so clearly Buf to me. Looks like what I might expect a single-copy RF (coral) Anery to look like, especially a female.

6 Likes

Dad definitely looks Buf to me and the IDs you have on the hatchlings look correct to me as well, for what it’s worth. Buf is crazy variable in its expression and so I think all of us that work with it struggle to ID hatchlings at times, as only the Orange (Buf + Amel) are typically obvious right out of the egg. The Buf Anerys I’ve produced stood out next to just plain Anerys in the same clutch, but essentially just looked a bit like Ghosts (i.e., within the normal range of variation for Anery). It was not until after a year or more that it became strikingly obvious that they were Buf + Anery. I’d suggest you keep an eye on that Snow… just might be Buf Snow :slight_smile: Nice clutch! Good luck with them all.

7 Likes

Lovely babies, @canterburycorns! I wanted to say welcome to the community. I don’t work with Buf myself, but your IDs look reasonable to me from pics. Neil @snakesmiths is a great resource for Buf. :clap:

I love the little teardrop marking under Baby C’s eye. Too cute! The Snow looks like it’s got something else going. Maybe Buf, maybe RF, but something. Same for Baby F. What sex is that one? Like @deanaii said, it looks to me like possibly RF.

5 Likes

Thanks! @caryl I some how didn’t notice Baby C’s little tear drop until taking those pictures, it really is cute! Baby F is a male, B, D and E are the females of the group.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply! So Baby F is a male, he was one I planned on holding back for now. So I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how his colors develop over time :smile:

4 Likes

@snakesmiths Thanks so much, I really needed to hear that! I was agonizing over IDing them. I might just hold back that snow for awhile then :smile:

5 Likes

I had to go back to take a closer look at baby C’s face to see the teardrop. That is just plain unadulterated precious!

6 Likes

All very pretty little babies! Congratulations!

5 Likes

Btw, I also love the big, bold saddles on Baby F. He’s very pretty already, whatever else develops in his coloring. Sometimes these slow to develop traits are hard on us humans. I know I’ve done a lot puzzling over some of my 2023s with Halo, Peach, RF. Still puzzling over a few lol.

5 Likes

Just for Fun here’s Mom, her name is Echo and Dad’s name is Wyatt.

6 Likes

Whoa! She is gorgeous!

5 Likes

Same I love those saddles too! he’s always stuck out to me in the clutch. If I think Buf is hard to ID, I can only imagine trying to work with Peach. It’s stunning in combination with other genes, but in some of the photos I’ve seen it looks like it can be pretty subtle.

5 Likes

Mom is an absolute stunner! :ok_hand::star_struck:

4 Likes

Wow! Perfect Coral Snow. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Lol gotta agree that Peach can be. A. Challenge. 2023 was the first season I produced any. I expect more, different morphs, this season so hopefully I’ll refine those skills. Like Buf, it is tricky in part because it can develop at different rates in siblings of the same morph. Two of my Peach Amels were obvious when they hatched. Others showed later. One I am still unsure. All this variety keeps things interesting, right?

6 Likes