Ideas for a young Dekay's Brown Snake enclosure

Hi! I’ve noticed that there isn’t much out there about young (or any) Dekay’s Brown snakes Setups/enclosures, and if any of you guys have housed DeKays, what are your recommendations? I’m not sure about what substrate to use, especially. There’s a lot of mixed info. Also, what size should the enclosure be? (keep in mind it’s for 2-4 young DeKays)

3 Likes

I’d put them in a 12 inch long or bigger bin if you decide on over two brown snakes. The bin should have a high top to it and latches on the lid. For air holes, cut a big circular hole in the top of the lid, put thin mesh on it and silicone it to the lid. Use small items like shells and big leaves as hides. For substrate, go with Josh’s Frogs ABG mix. I’ve never actually kept brown snakes, but I’ve done a whole lot of research into them.

2 Likes

Thank you! Also, do you know how to treat shells and big leafs found outside?

1 Like

Bake in the oven at 300 for an hour. I personally boil my magnolia leaves then bake them also, but that is just me. Baking for a while is one of your best bets.

1 Like

thank you! does this work for both leafs and shells?

2 Likes

Yes, it works with most things you’ll find outside. Just make sure you’re monitoring the things you’re baking so you don’t start a fire. This probably won’t happen, but it’s always a possibility when baking plant matter like leaves and sticks.

1 Like

I know very little about DeKays, aside from the fact that they’re small and cute. I know the babies are itty bitty, so just make sure that they can’t escape from whatever you use! They can slip through places like air vents and holes for cords that wouldn’t pose an issue for babies of most other species. The idea of covering air holes with fine mesh secured with silicone sounds really good. Just make sure there are no gaps in that silicone seal!

1 Like