Identify morphs?

I got them from a store and the little one seemed weak but its been doing great and so has the other one. Can you help identify the smaller one ? I think The bigger one is a high yellow? But maybe the smaller one is a type of snow??

1 Like

The one on top is a striped snow, and is emaciated almost to the point of death. The one on the bottom is a tangerine and is also severely underweight, but not quite as bad. Look at some pictures of young leopard geckos and notice the difference in tail width between healthy animals and the ones you have. Are these animals feeding? On what and how much?

Also, sand is not a good substrate for leopard geckos, despite what the pet store may have told you. Newspaper or paper towels are more appropriate, especially when they are young. Some people also use reptile carpet, and this is safe, though not what I personally prefer.

2 Likes

I would recommend the following caresheet, since the pet store probably did not give you the right information. It was written by Ron Tremper, who also wrote a book about leopard geckos and is the founder of many of the most popular leopard gecko morphs.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Leopard-Gecko/

1 Like

I have some reptile carpet I haven’t added yet. And I can’t get them to eat meal worms so they’re been eating crickets as many as they can eat in one sitting, it’s really hard to get the smaller one to eat cause it can’t catch it’s prey. So I’ve kind been helping along and making them easier to catch for it. And suggestions? I’d really like to make sure they don’t die ! :confused:

Some leopard geckos like meal worms and some don’t, and some can learn to like them. Keep feeding crickets and just put the mealworms in a shallow bowl within the enclosure so the geckos can eat them if they like. Make sure you are providing calcium and vitamin supplementation.

It’s good that you are helping the smaller animal to eat and that it eats with help. You might also try offering waxworms because they are higher in fat, to help it put on weight.

Because of the weaker condition of one animal, I would recommend separating the two of them until they have both achieved a normal weight.

1 Like

Okay thank you will update forum in a week or 2

Sure. Feel free to reach out to me if you need more help.

3 Likes

I still can’t get the little guy to eat

Try putting a small prey item directly into the gecko’s mouth and see if he/she will swallow it. If you can’t get it to eat that way, your only hope would be syringe feeding. I’ll be honest though, that animal may be too far gone.

Have you separated them? Stress is a big factor, and the gecko won’t get better while stressed out by a larger, more dominant cagemate.

1 Like