I’m researching state laws on keeping reptiles and am running out of states where I can legally keep my wish list. Most seem to consider any rear-fanged venomous snake, with the exception of hognoses in KY (although they are illegal, along with corn snakes, apparently, in Georgia) to be dangerous and illegal.
So people who own a Barron’s racer, or a mangrove snake— what states do you live in?
It’s kinda ironic that such “laws” exist regarding reptiles in certain states. It’s my understanding that in IN (my state), one can buy just about any wild animal one might want, like lions and tigers and bears……with the occasional monkey thrown in…..
I’m in Indiana and to my knowledge the only Indiana restrictions are true venomous and/or native rear-fanged venomous. Most other things (non-native hognoses, false water cobras, Baron’s racers, most boiga species including mangroves, etc.) are fine, no permit required. That said, I’d definitely do some more research into that, don’t just take my word as law.
Look at it briefly…
Anything on the threatened or endangered list for IN state or the US is a nono.
So for example plains garter snakes, rough green snakes, ornate box turtles and red or green salamanders are a few listed from IN
Hahah, I looked at Caron’s post and hadn’t seen yours until after I posted.
Though Plains Garter snakes are rear fanged and illegal to own in IN even though they’re not considered endangered overall as a species.
Visiting Washington over the weekend was where I found Western Garters are illegal to own.
According to the wording for Kentucky law, garters are illegal because of the venom shrug
Also you can own up to 5 hognose before needing a permit it looks like.
Where I am: California
For rear fang venomous…
I would need a CDFW license and can own 2 garters. If I wanted to breed I would need a propagation permit and be open for inspections by CDFW.
Ribbon snakes and some garter subspecies are illegal regardless
Hognose are fine
Boiga dendrophila are fine as well
Boiga irregularis is illegal to own
Eeeww…I would at least have hoped for some signature with another permitholder.
It does look like there’s some limits and permits required if you are looking into breeding or selling hognose.
garters and ribbons are on the whitelist too, so restrictions there as well
Your best bet would be checking out USARK’s ownership laws by state, and then from there, sending an email to the regulatory body or wildlife department in the states you’re considering for clarification.