Im getting a snake soon and would like advice and tips since ill be new to this

Okay, so I am supposed to be getting a ball python soon. Since I know it is best to get information from other snake owners rather than google since typically that information is always outdated I just would like to know things that I should know about owning a ball python. I would hate to get an animal and it not be happy or not taken care of properly so any advice and tips ya’ll could give me would be GREATLY appreciated on my end and my future snakes end. Thank ya’ll in advance.

4 Likes

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the family :slight_smile: The first thing you should do is check out the “Learn The Basics” section on MorphMarket to make sure that when the time comes you know what to expect in the terms of purchasing.

And also check out So you want to buy a reptile...(a guide)

as for husbandry, i suggest using the #husbandry tag and reading through the topics there.

You can also check out the “Resources” page on MorphMarket for helpful links.

4 Likes

Welcome Beth…Glad you are doing your research before purchasing an animal…Many don’t. Hope you stick around and join the conversations.

2 Likes

Yes i like to know how to make sure my pets are well taken care of. I got him 2 days ago and have tried feeding him thawed mice but he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with them so were gonna try live mice to see if that will work. Hopefully it does but were gonna do whatever it takes to get him to eat

1 Like

That’s good to hear you’re ok with feeding live if f/t doesn’t work, many new keepers shy away from that. That’s a good sign you’re going to do what you can to give this ball a good home.
Since you tried feeding 2 days ago, I would hold off offering food again for about 5 days. If you over offer prey, sometimes that can make a ball more nervous and reluctant to eat. He will eat eventually but it’s always good to let them settle in for a week or 2 and then offer a meal. It’s completely healthy for them to go that time without food, so don’t be worried if he doesn’t accept prey right away.
Congratulations on becoming a reptile owner, we need as many as we can get.
And welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

well I tried feeding him today and last night but thanks for telling me that because I did not know that it could make them nervous, But yes I wanted to try and feed him f/t but now that it seems like that’s not what he wants but I do want to make sure my baby is taken care of. But he seems happy he loves to hide in my hair and sit on my shoulder and watch what I’m doing and if I start walking around he’ll wrap around my wrist and just sit there. He is just very observant.

1 Like

It’s generally recommended to hold off on handling for a few weeks until he’s settled in and eating regularly. Handling can be a source of stress, and stressed snakes don’t eat. This may be a contributing factor in your struggle with him not eating

3 Likes

Oh thanks for telling me that I’ve tried not handling him much but when I put him back in his enclosure he follows me until I get him back out then he lays on me so I just thought he was content. It reminded me of a toddler so I just kept satisfying him he acts as if he’s been handled a lot.

1 Like

Usually a hiding ball python is a happy ball python, so if he’s super active in his enclosure (especially during the day) it can be stress or husbandry being a little off. What do the temperatures and humidity look like in his setup and does have appropriately sized hides on both the hot/cold side?

3 Likes

He hides in his thing when I’m out of the room but once I’m back in the room he comes out and climes his tree wanting me to get him out. and his humidity and temperature is good and he does have 2 large hides in his tanks. we made sure his tank is set up properly he seems happy just like a toddler that when the parent comes in the room he wants them to get him out and play with him.

1 Like

Just remember that prior to handling often you should try and ensure he’s eating and husbandry (temps, humidity, enclosure, etc) are spot on. The majority of Ball Pythons aren’t known for being fans of being out and about and prefer being balled up in their hide. You might think he see’s you and comes out to greet you but it could also be some other issue. So just ensure he’s eating first and then do short time handlings 2-3 times a week for 5-15mins for a few weeks after that you can shorten it to just handling once a week for about 15-20mins. I’m not saying don’t handle more than 20mins but just keep in mind like someone else mentioned ‘A hiding Ball Python is a happy Ball Python’.

3 Likes