Insurance anyone?

Recently Brian Gundy from for-goodness-snakes had 5 snakes stolen, thankfully he has recovered 3 of them. That got me thinking……

Now let’s say you purchase $5 or $10K in snakes. You breed them and over the years you end up with another $5-10K worth of snakes in your collection. Now you have a $10-20K investment setting in your house. If you don’t like calling them investments, then just think of them as $10-20K worth of pets.

What happens if your house burns down, or they are stolen?

Are they covered under home owner’s insurance or is there an additional insurance coverage available?

2 Likes

They are not matter of fact some insurance company will even cancel your policy if you do have snakes (makes it high risk)

They can however be covered as live stocks by some companies just like farmer’s live stocks.

For many breeders if it’s gone it’s gone and a total loss as insurance is not as easy and affordable as one may think.

1 Like

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I did investigate it a little. I was hoping there was something helpful out there that I wasn’t aware of yet.

1 Like

Might want to look into floater insurance, but @stewart_reptiles is spot on. Some insurance companies won’t deal with snakes, or other animals. I had to switch home owners insurance because I had what they deemed as “two aggressive dog breeds”; ie. Alaskan Malamute and German Shepherd. If I had stayed with that insurance company they were adding an additional $1200 on top of everything else just because of the dogs.

Do through research, and if you really want to know call up a local sales agent and just ask them point blank “I am/going to be a snake breeder and wanted to know if my snake collection would be protected against theft or disasters, etc.”

1 Like

Hey, @akmorphs, I rarely see anyone who’s kept or has an Alaskan Malamute these days. They’re a SUPER DOG, but as far as dogs go, the most aggressive breed I’ve encountered were min pins or Chihuahuas… I have an American pitbull, and he’s the sweetest big baby you ever saw, but they put dogs on lists like that because they’re “capable”, and more than anything, misunderstood about their true nature. We had an AM when I was a kid, monster of an animal in regards to his size, but was just a big puppy to the kids and the folks. We lived on about 15 acres at the time and he used to take down deer in the back field, Southwestern WA, and bring them half eaten up to the house. He’d chase the car down the road at least a mile at 35 miles an hour when you left the place if he got the chance to follow you. Name was Terminator. He was a cool dog, though. It’s too bad people see an animal like that they’re aren’t familiar with and demonize them, because of misplaced fears. I looked into insurance for Ozzy (my American pitbull) at one point actually and it was the same deal. High priced or I was denied due to the breed. It’s a shame, all for some boogeyman mentality about a great animal.

1 Like