Interesting Arachnid Enclosures

Found this at Joann’s with the wife. She asks what I want with it.

Sling enclosure, of course.

anyone else use things for enclosures that aren’t “really” enclosures? I’ve also got a sling in a deli cup that some meal worms came in!

4 Likes

The link works its not a malware or phishing thing. Not sure why it asks if you are a bot?

1 Like

Those look like they’d work well. I used similar looking pails for holding grasshoppers etc when field collecting for lizards.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some super creative jumping spider enclosures for sale on Etsy. Some of them sell for three figures!

3 Likes

I think those prices are just ridiculous too.

1 Like

I’ve used a few things from The Container Store temporarily, but between maintenance and safety (If you keep tarantulas or spiders long-term, you’ll know EXACTLY what I mean about those sliptop acrylic enclosures), I’ve stuck with either glass enclosures like the smaller Exo Terra models and especially the ZooMed 3gal Creatures enclosures (These are great for both arboreal and terrestrial species, depending on how you set your substrate and the rest of the enclosure up, and if you follow the screen top hype with tarantulas, but that’s a other conversation altogether), and either Tarantula Cribs or Herpcult’s magnetic latching acrylic enclosures.

2 Likes

We had our jumping spider and tarantulas in bioactive enclosures with plants and all :sweat_smile:

The jumping one was actually in a deli cup thing until big enough and had a 20x20x30 bio exo, with background done and all :joy:

The dwarf Brazilian diamond and obt both had glass vivs with sliding doors that were also bio with backgrounds, plants etc.

Loved watching them in a natural environment :grin:

I’d love a jumping again at some point and will do a full bio again, or maybe a ‘nice’ handleable tarantula… :thinking: My daughter would be holding too so do need a nice one :joy: Ha…

3 Likes

My Arizona blonde is in a bio, as well as my curly hair. So as my 5 slings grow to adult they will be moved over to bio as well.

2 Likes

I would love to use these for mantises but I haven’t been able to find them. Do they sell these enclosure by themself or only with the kit?

1 Like

Just by the kit. I made a habit of getting a couple at a time and using things like Petco’s online pick up order discounts and stuff like that to keep costs down, and I kept all the things they give you in the kit (plastic leaves that suction cup to the side, a half log hide, I think is all the have in these other than the enclosure) for other things down the road. I also find those enclosures fairly commonly secondhand, and usually in great condition, most people sell them for $5-10 on places like Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp.

2 Likes

For my black widow slings i just use plastic containers with small holes for my sub adult/adults i use a reptizoo 8x8x12 i like to have room to work in my enclosures. Ive use small solo cups but my babies love sitting up near the rim so i always have to bust out my magnifying glass with light to see where they are before i open the lid then after so i don’t squish them in the lid.

1 Like

This is what i keep my slings in they dont need much and its probably best to leave very little to hide because they are tiny and can be missed. When they get larger you can transfer them to a bigger enclosure.

2 Likes