Interesting Find - A. klugii

An interesting find in my A. klugii Montenegro Clown tub. This one is a fairly bright monochromatic orange color. I’m interested to isolate it and see if it is reproducible.

7 Likes

If it were a corn snake, I’d say it’s a hypo. I know nothing about the genetics of your little cuties, but that one definitely has something different going on.

3 Likes

Thank you! It is quite interesting to me that an orangey appearance is often one of the more common mutations that pop up in many different isopod species.

3 Likes

Yep, that is indeed an A. klugii “Orange”! I have only seen them available by one seller and they sold for quite the pretty penny :wink:

3 Likes

I too was only able to find one fairly expensive source that resembled mine on the inter webs. While I am quite curious if my orange individual would be compatible with the orange clowns that are out there, I’m not too eager to pony up that pretty penny at this point to find out for sure :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When you get more defo separate to make more.

I love seeing the amazing varieties of isopods! :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Love seeing them, too. Thats a great find right there!

4 Likes

Woohoo I found at least one, maybe two, additional orange clowns in the culture. While going through the tub I also found a couple other oddities. I found two individuals that look to have no skirt, resembling the Pudding morph to me. Pictured below.

In the same A. klugii Montenegro Clown tub, I also found approximately three individuals that look to be patternless along the dorsal but retain their skirt. Looks like I’ve got some dividing up of this culture to do in the near future!

6 Likes

Really excited to see how thkse projects turn out! Keep us updated! Those patternless individuals look amazing! Very unique :star_struck:

Maybe the pudding look-alikes are melanistic?

4 Likes

Me too! Hopefully they prove reproducible. Thankfully the Pudding-like ones won’t cost nearly as much to test compatibility with the established Pudding morph as it’ll be to test the orange ones against the established Orange Clowns. Melanistic animals pop up across a whole lot of animals so there is a possibility it could be a form of it.

4 Likes