Introducing Carpet Pythons

When introducing a breeding pair what do you look for? What is good behavior/bad behavior etc?
Been breeding balls but it will be my first year that the carpets are old enough/big enough. Just want to know that signs to watch for.

1 Like

@t_h_wyman should be able to help you out.

2 Likes

You say that like I am some kind of professional carpet breeder… Only carpet complex I have are bredli and my female is not old enough to breed yet LOL

Honestly, your best bet for information is going to be the Morelia Python Radio podcast. They do a show every year on breeding, the one for this year was three or four weeks ago (but they have nine years worth of shows so you can certainly go deep if you want)

That said, I talk with a fair number of carpet guys and really there is not a whole lot different to balls: Run your seasonal down cycle, start pairing up, feed up the females, wait for eggs. Depending on which subspecies you are working with will determine pairing time (winter breeders versus spring breeders). You do have to be a bit more aware of combat (wrong sexing seems to be more common with carpets) and if it happens you will need to separate them immediately. If either animal shows any kind of distress on pairing (fleeing, excessive hiding, excessive aggression, etc.,) then separate them out and try again in a couple weeks

3 Likes

Thank you! I will check out the podcast!

2 Likes

Not in the slightest. I just remembered you mentioning that podcast and figured you’d be able to point the OP in the right direction.

1 Like