IR guns causing me to question temps

Agreed. Background temperature fluctuations can make a massive difference in tank temperature fluctuation, especially drafts.

2 Likes

I just want her to make it until I get the rack. With these temps being insane to manage, i don’t want her to burn or not digest properly due to the me not being able to get accurate readings or keep the temps proper either.

1 Like

That’s where PVC and tubs reign supreme

1 Like

Personally, I do not have a ball python, but if there are reasons that affect her health more than just a bad shed. I would move her into the tub.

I guess I could move her to a tub tonight and hope her shed goes smoothly. Her eyes cleared so it could be any day now.

1 Like

Moving her won’t be an issue. As long as the tub has the proper temps and humidity she will shed fine.

1 Like

Sweet, I’ll do that now.

I agree here
try to set up the tub then move her into it

And yeah, humidity and ambient temps have never been an issue, is just these damn belly heat temps.

1 Like

I’ll let everyone know how the move goes and how the temps are when I get it set up

2 Likes

Absolutely I think it’s going to go great :+1:

1 Like

Personally, I have found that temp guns are only reliable if you do the 2 following things: 1) don’t take the temp of an object from more than 6-8 inches away and try to hold the beam steady; 2) more importantly, take temps on a smooth, opaque object like a rock or hide (not on uneven bedding or clear glass or plastic that “breaks up” the beam. Also, of course, make sure your batteries are fresh. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IR guns don’t measure temperature in as simple of a fashion as it seems.

1. The laser is a pointer and nothing more.

2. They measure the difference in the temperature of a surface and the surrounding environment. High delta t air currents and other factors can affect the environmental temperature enough to give a fluctuating or inaccurate reading.

Keep in mind these things actually read a spectrum of light and calculate a temperature based on that. They aren’t physically reading the temperature of the surface.

1 Like