Is brumating 100% necessary?

5 to 7 days is fine, but if she’s acting extra hungry, then I think every 5 might not be a bad idea. As the eggs develop, you might have a better time feeding her smaller, but more frequent meals. Personally I haven’t used supplements, but some breeders do recommend it.

4 Likes

I would very strongly recommend checking out the Colubrid & Colubroid podcast from a couple weeks ago

6 Likes

Heres a couple photos of her today. Any signs? She looks chunkier in her lower 3rd to me.

2 Likes

Have you tried gently palpating her? The way I do it is letting the snake slither through a thin sheet or pillow case while I apply gentle pressure to the spine and belly with my thumb and index finger. She does look a bit chunky, though.

4 Likes

I palpated her yesterday, she feels a bit bumpy. But I’m no expert. Anyways, she refused food last night and just a few moments ago. I tried her normal meal last night, an adult mouse, and then I tried a hopper this afternoon… someone reccomended trying smaller meals. She refused both. She shed on the 2nd/3rd of janurary and she was paired first Janurary 7th, meaning its only been 2 weeks. I don’t know if she’ll shed again for the pre lay shed? She’s been ansty and hanging out in the lay box a lot. My other female is just hanging out under and behind the lay box, lol.

3 Likes

They do tend to get restless and start refusing food when they’re getting close to laying. It’s not common for them to skip a pre-lay shed, but it is possible.

6 Likes

Definitely keep us posted on this! Can’t wait to see the eggs!

5 Likes

She’s definitely being very quiet tonight. Has settled in there for the last 2 days, haven’t seen her out of the lay box for my awake hours, which i’m usually up till midnight lol

6 Likes

Same, and pass that lol :joy:

5 Likes

Hopefully you’ll have eggs soon. It’s always hard to wait. She may hang out in the nest box for a few days before laying. Don’t panic if nothing’s happening right away.

5 Likes

Update:
she refused food once again today, still no shed in sight. She looks large near but not very close to her vent. She’s been restless for the past couple days but is now settling in the lay box. Should I pull her water bowl?

3 Likes

I would just switch it for a small one. She still needs access to water for drinking, but just not big enough that she could soak in it.

4 Likes

I have a couple who seem to be in perpetual motion during the day before they finally settle in to lay. They may have been lying peacefully in their nest box for days, then as E-hour nears, they get very very very restless, only to eventually return to the nest box and get down to business. You may be getting eggs soon.

Or not. They’re all individuals. Which is part of the frustration and the fun of it all.

2 Likes

Three week weight gain difference… first photo Jan 16, most recent one today. Pretty cool considering she’s still off food. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely looking matronly. :smile:

2 Likes

23 days out from the lock today. Still no pre lay shed in sight. She’s still being very secretive, only staying in her lay box. I switched her bowl out for a smaller bowl. I tried pairing them a few days ago and she was being very unreceptive. Flying away from him and rattling her tail. Yesterday I could feel 12-13 lumps on palpating, so I’m really hoping we’re close!! Photos from yesterday.
-Zoe

1 Like

3 Likes

Hmmm. She’s VERY restless today. Burrowing, ruining her water bowl, etc. She also made a tiny poop, with lots of urates and a very small little poop in it (one part is very tarry black) Is this okay considering she’s still off food? I’ve never seen her this active!

2 Likes

Still no pre lay shed or any sign of her going in blue… 26 days since visual lock. I feel very prominent bumps in her, 12-13 marble sized. Is this normal not to have a pre lay shed by now? What’s the average of shedding after locking? She’s still not eating. Thanks

2 Likes

Average is 30-45 days. Relax, you’re not even at 30 yet. Let the expectant mama do her thing. You have given her the tools and the environment she needs. The last and hardest thing to give her is time and privacy. When they’re close to laying, I check mine once in the morning, and again at night. Other than that, I try and leave them alone.

You may notice that when she’s ready, she’ll clear part of her nest box so that she’s resting on a smooth, bare surface. Most of them do this when they’re down to that last day or so. Then they’re content to wait.

4 Likes