Is brumating 100% necessary?

update: still not eating, but still no eggs. it’s now been 38 days and I fear she may have reabosrbed the eggs? She doesn’t look as large as before but it’s strange she’s still not eating…

1 Like

Any change since your last post? She’s still within the average time of 30-45 days.

3 Likes

How are things going?

1 Like

This was a very excitingnpost to read… i too would love an update.

2 Likes

Yep, this thread was very informational. Any updates?

She has pushed all her bedding to one side, she shed about 5-7 days ago. Being very quiet now, was restless the last couple days. Still not eating. Cross your fingers!

4 Likes

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I got them crossed :crossed_fingers: for you and mommas safe laying

3 Likes

So I take it her pushing the bedding over in the lay box is a good sign? She’s very chunky in her lower abdomen near the vent, still not eating

2 Likes

UPDATE: 8 days today since her shed. She’s got a very large lump right before her vent…. is this a good sign, meaning laying is imminent? She hasn’t left the lay bin in about 18 hours, looks like she is very content but uncomfortably large.

1 Like

YAYYY! woke up to this

9 Likes

YAAAAY EGGS!!! congrats momma!

1 Like

Yay, congrats! She’s not quite done laying in that picture, so try to resist the urge to check on her a lot! Once or twice per day would be the maximum I would peek in on her.

3 Likes

Hurray!!! Good looking eggs so far. She has more yet inside. It’s always hard to resist checking often. Today’s a good day to take a long walk, run lots of errands, bake something complicated, read a long book…

5 Likes

Yay congratulations!

1 Like

Let us know how many and how they are when she is finished! Congratulations on the eggs!

2 Likes

Yaaaaaay, eggs at last!!! I’ve been following this thread for a while, so glad to see that the big event is finally underway. I’m no expert, but those are looking like some great eggs! Congrats to you and momma!

3 Likes

Any updates?

2 Likes

UPDATE:
The eggs are doing GREAT! We lost 4 in the very beginning due to being infertile. We now have 8 very healthy eggs, they have almost doubled in size since being laid. Mom is recovering well and putting weight on slowly. A couple of quick questions as this is my first time incubation corn eggs. How long is incubation period around 83 f? And also… do you recommend cutting the eggs once the first snake pips, or just letting them hatch naturally? Thanks so much you all for all your help! I have been attempting to breed corns for 3 years now and finally this all went amazingly! Good things come to those who wait.

6 Likes

At that temp, I think the average is around 60 days. As for cutting, it shouldn’t be necessary, but if you really feel inclined to do it, wait for 24 hours after the first egg pips, then you can just do a small slice with a razor or exacto knife. Don’t bug the baby inside though. They really need to be left alone to absorb their yolk sac and then emerge fully when they’re ready.

Have you tried candling them? It’s really cool to see the veins and then eventually you’ll actually be able to see movement inside the egg.

4 Likes