Is brumating 100% necessary?

They look very good! It is always exciting to watch them develop. Since you asked, I don’t cut my eggs. Individuals’ genetics can lead to too many possible reasons why they may not be quite ready on whatever date. There’s also the possibility of disturbing an egg’s occupant and causing it to leave the egg before it’s done absorbing the yolk.
I definitely agree that if you do decide to cut, wait until at least 24 hours after the first natural pip. In my experience, healthy babies can and do pip over the course of up to three or four days.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to pippies!

3 Likes

Yes I have candled them!

Is that shadow on the bottom the baby?

5 Likes

Yes!!:smiley::heart_eyes: As time passes, you’ll even be able to see some details about colouration and markings.

4 Likes

They look great! And yeah, the babies are typically on the bottom.

5 Likes

I don’t recommend cutting to avoid forcing the baby out early. Each egg is on it’s own schedule and it may or may not hatch on it’s own. I think it’s more harmful to risk forcing babies out early than the small chance that one has an underdeveloped egg tooth.

I’ve done this before with a crested gecko egg by candling it. :rofl: I was candling it to see what was going on inside the egg and it exploded and got egg goo all over my face. :rofl: The baby was just fine but I’m guessing if I left it alone it wouldn’t have hatched for a few more days.

2 Likes

Hey all! How long is incubation length typically? I’m at day 44, candling today I noticed movement in every egg!! I’ve heard anywhere from day 45-60 days. What is y’all’s experience? I know bearded dragons and some reptiles will sweat/dent before hatching, do corns do this as well? Thanks!!

4 Likes

That egg looks great! Corn snake eggs can vary when they hatch, but the average is around 60 days. If you do cooler incubation temps, then they’ll take longer. And yes, they’ll dimple when they’re close to hatching.

3 Likes

Would you say the egg in the photos are further developed or still have a few weeks to go?

2 Likes

Here is a link to a candling video I took!!

2 Likes

Probably still a few weeks. What’s weird is that even when you candle them right before hatching, they’ll still seem like they’re mostly ‘empty’, but once they hatch, you’ll see that the baby fills up the egg almost entirely. They look really good though!

4 Likes

I can’t see any morphs or patterns through the eggs, but I still see movement and development. i’m hoping we get healthy and happy babies in the next few weeks!

5 Likes

Cant wait to see what comes out of these eggs soon! Keep us posted pleaseee😁.

4 Likes

I love following along with others through the breeding and waiting and laying and - best of all - hatching process. I had my first corn snake hatchling in 2009, and I’m expecting babies this year, too. I never get tired of it!

6 Likes

Oh no, I missed the big moment! I am so happy everything has worked out well so far! Fingers crossed everything else finishes out smoothly and you get some very healthy babies! :crossed_fingers:t4:

2 Likes

Updating candling photos from today!!

5 Likes

Day 50 today, candling photos. Hopefully making some progress inside those eggies! I still see plenty of movement. Hoping soon, my incubator is at a steady 84/85 F… :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

Those veins are awesome!

3 Likes

Hopefully getting closer! I’m so proud of mama. We had 13, a few went bad within the first couple days of incubation, and then 8 total now. She’s been doing really well too, eating once-twice a week and resting up :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I wonder if she’ll double clutch?

4 Likes

They’re looking great! Looking forward to seeing those pippies.

2 Likes