Is it safe to use bug repellant if you keep isopods?

I have been wanting to go herping more in the areas near my house, but the mosquito bites are so intense that I can’t go near a forested area without getting a LOT of mosquito bites. The last time I tried, I only went about 3 feet beyond the tree line. I was foolishly wearing shorts, and got bitten over 17 times on my legs within about 10-15 minutes, no exaggeration. Thus, I figured it would be prudent to get some bug repellant before trying again.

My concern is that I keep isopods, have feeder insects, and also hope to get arachnids in the future. I’m afraid that some residue of bug repellant on my skin or clothing might harm my inverts. Could it harm inverts I come across in the field? I’d really love to go looking for toads and snakes and skinks, but I am concerned. Any advice guys?

2 Likes

It’s always tricky to balance the needs of oneself or ones pets against other pets… Permethrin for example is often in pesticides or used to treat snake mites but licking up even the residue of it can kill a cat rapidly.

My guess would be it depends on how thoroughly you decontaminate yourself after outdoor activities but before going near the pets and feeders… and also on what type of pest repellent you’re using. Some is persistent, like stronger DEET or Essential Oils. Anything oil based can linger until dissolved by soap and warm water or by other oils, so I’d imagine that could cling on a lot longer…

3 Likes

I think that if you apply the repellent to your skin/clothes and then shower directly after to wash away all of the repellent and put different clothes on, there would be no residue left or traveling through the air. It would be necessary to apply the repellent outside and if you find any I wouldn’t touch any amphibians or some inverts (including spiders and excluding beetles, anything hard-bodied should be fine), touching reptiles should be fine. If you wanted to be careful you could temporarily cover the ventilation of your invert colonies.

2 Likes

from what ive seen, it doesnt actually hurt any insects. I use Deet to keep ants away from my animals since im in major argentine ant domain.

Anything that utilizes smell will flee from it, though cocokroaches dont seem to bothered.

3 Likes