Is my bearded sick?

Ok so before I tell you what abit about him
Size:175 grams
Length:16 in
Friendly:yes
Genetics hypo citrus tiger leatherback 50% het trans pos het zero
Temps:basking 113-100
Humidity:22%-36% (I know 22% is low I am doing my best to raise)
Appetite: doesn’t love greens but eats them
Diet:working on varying but collard greens mustard greens turnip greens bell pepper cilantro.
Bugs mainly BSFL and dubia.
Ok now you know his health profile and here is what I have noticed,
He seems to never want to bask I have tried adjusting temps and he just never does and he is always at the cool side and sometimes when I pick him up he is physically cold, I handle him when I have the chance and I always put him on the basking afterwards and he sits there for a long time which is expected, but I also have noticed when he is on the cool side he is close to basically sleeping he looks super tired yet he is super active outside the tank! And he has not pooped and I decided to lower the amount of bugs significantly as he was not basking so I was and still am worried that he will not digest, advice if he is sick? Or am I just over reacting sorry if I am I baby him a-lot.

If you are trying to raise and maintain humidity you can saran wrap or get plexiglass or glass panel to cover some of the screen mesh so that the humidity doesn’t escape as fast. Just misting will only really give spikes to the humidity but once it dries it will drop down.

I think and i may be incorrect in assuming that leather back means it doesn’t have scales? Scales help the animal retain moisture and gives protection from the environment and predators, id imagine not having scales is a detriment not a bonus for this animal. Have you every been outside and the sun seems so hot that it burns your skin? Id imagine that they feel that same pain we do.

Imo deliberately breeding an animal without it’s scales to me is like deliberately breeding a defect.

When i said many months ago to you that bearded dragons were not a beginner animal, what i said was true, regardless of some peoples anecdotal evidence.

Australia is not just a hot environment but it is also quite humid as its surrounded by water.

Silk backs are the beardies that don’t have scales. Silk backs are the super form of leatherback. Leatherbacks don’t have any health issues.

As far as health issues I don’t know much about beardies, but usually they are good about regulating themselves. My only thought is maybe he isn’t comfortable in the warm area of the enclosure.

2 Likes

Oh no don’t worry leather back just makes the back lose spikes NOT SCALES don’t worry :wink:

1 Like

Basking is done to raise body temps. If your enclosure is over 100 degrees, he prolly doesn’t need/want any more heat. My beardie is happy as a clam, and never sees temps that high. I’m not saying s/he isn’t enjoying it, just that, perhaps, basking might not be necessary.

1 Like