Is my BP small/done growing?

Hi again everyone! Probably a dumb question, because there’s really no way to tell. I guess I’d just like some estimates. My BP is male and 3.5ft, and 22 months old. I just upgraded him to a 4x2x2 enclosure, and I think this will be his final. I’m just wondering if he’s done most of his growing? I was told males pretty much stay at like 3ft, but then recently found out that they grow until they’re like 3-4 years and can get to 5ft. I guess I’m just asking because of the possibility of upgrading him again in the future, and if his size sounds alright. Thank you!

2 Likes

They grow their entire life but genetics are most of what determines the adult size. When you start stacking a lot of morphs I notice the adult size is often on the smaller end of the average.

My largest male is an outlier at just short of 5’ and around 2800g lean. My next largest male is 22-2300g and right about 4’. Average though is 3-3.5 ft and some of my males that have been bred heavily are only 12-1300g at 5-6 years old.

5 Likes

Oh I see. I could see how breeding them a bunch for color and not size could cause that. Mine’s a leucistic, so I’m not sure if that affects anything. Mine is like 1100 at his current age, does that seem alright or is that too much?

1 Like

As has been said, they do continue to grow throughout their lives, although their growth slows down significantly after they reach maturity. My last roommate had a 16-year-old male bp who was well over 4’ in length (not sure of his weight, but he had some heft and girth to him). He was a normal who had never been bred (as far as we know).

2 Likes

You might want to post a few pictures of him so people can see him in order to judge his size……:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Mine is just a pet, so he’ll be a virgin forever (sorry lol) but my friend has a normal, who is also a male and the same size (though lighter) than my BP, which is why I was curious!

2 Likes

I don’t think I have any great ones that really show off his entire body. But hopefully these are okay. Last one is from him right now lol

1 Like

Oh my goodness gracious he is absolutely a beauty! Thank you for the pictures! I am hoping the last picture will be a good one to judge body weight.

Btw, he looks fine to me but I could certainly be mistaken! :pray::heart:

1 Like

Thank you! He’s always seemed a bit chunky to me honestly but I can’t tell too well. If he is I’m hoping he’ll grow into it a bit haha

1 Like

Seems like a good age to weight to me. I doubt he was starved but also not fed for fast growth. I’ll bet he will still slowly grow for you. Most likely even slower once in the 1500 range. I think for a male he will always be comfortable with space in a 4x2x2 as a forever home.

4 Likes

Thank you. I feel like if he stayed somewhere around 1500, that’d be perfect. I don’t need a giant but also didn’t want him to be stunted or anything. He definitely wasn’t starved haha and he eats once every 2-3 weeks, a small rat.

2 Likes

Just realised I have a picture of Monty, my roommate’s BP I mentioned. This isn’t a great picture to judge size, but I’m sort of reclining on my bed and he’s curled up on my stomach here, so you can kinda get a vague notion that he’s a big boy, haha.

2 Likes

Awwwwwww He is a snuggle bug! What a cutie patootie! :pray::heart:

1 Like