Is Orangasm A Line of Something

I am wondering if Orangasm is a line for something. I am really considering trying to get a Orangasm Sunglow Jungle to bred later in life and was wondering this was referring to in the animal.

2 Likes

It’s a bloodline of hypo originating from Frank Martin. Just like “salmon” hypos which originated from Rich Ihle.

It’s a nice bloodline that definitely translates well into albino (sunglow) projects. Tom Burke’s “Lipstick” sunglow bloodline is another great one to look out for.

Semi-unrelated fun fact - I visited Frank Martin in the mid 2000’s and picked up a male orangasm triple het hypo/anery/albino which I later traded. That male ended up producing the first visual hypo/anery/albino in his first breeding season which was dubbed the “moonglow”.

9 Likes

So does that mean I can later breed this animal to one that I do not know what blood line of hypo it comes from? And produce the same results?

3 Likes

Hypo is the single gene mutation. The “bloodline” refers to the ancestry of the animal, kind of like your last name. Any boas produced from an “orangasm” bloodline will produce “orangasm” bloodline boas. There are usually some sort of unique and valuable visual characteristics developed through luck and selective breeding that determine it worth naming the bloodline. Those traits are also, generally speaking, polygenic, or controlled by multiple genes … different from single gene mutations with more predictable outcomes / statistical probabilities. I think we see less of this type of polygenic selective breeding within ball pythons because of the plethora of single gene mutations and the focus on combining them to see what happens.

3 Likes

So yes I could use an “orangasm” sunglow and bred it to something that is not orangasm line of hypo and produce super hypo. Or would the value of hatchlings be low because of the mixing of bloodline? Or would that just change the appearance of the hatchlings slightly because of the polygenic thing?

1 Like

If you are going to go through the trouble of getting an orangasm line hypo, don’t mix it with another bloodline/unknown line. They will not sell for a lot, and won’t be nearly as pretty. They will likely just be bought as pets and therefore have to be sold at a price to compete with other pet quality animals. Also, I know your current boa is a hypo, but I also know he has a kink in his spine. If your plan was to breed him, I wouldn’t recommend breeding an animal with a deformity, as that means his bloodline/genetics are weak.

3 Likes

No I was not ever planning on breeding Kai because of his deformities. No but I was just asking because from the fact that it is a bloodline it probably wouldn’t make much sense in mixing with an unknown or a different bloodline.

2 Likes

So I have a orangasm, hypo, het kahl and was looking to breed it with my salmon hypo het kahl. Why I took from your information it’s to not cross those bloodline, Sonia my male hypo, orangasm low quality already?

2 Likes

None of those are low quality hypos in my opinion. A lot of breeders will try to keep the same line of hypo together when breeding to produce a cleaner look.

2 Likes

Riley, you could breed an orangasm line hypo to Sherbert. She is a lipstick and also an orange tail line hypo. I also think her mom had a little Suriname in her. But I have no prof of the Suriname, just my opinion. Dad gave her the lipstick, and Mom came from Chris Nicholas line of orange tail hypos. Both are top-notch lines of hypos.

No matter what line of hypos you have when you breed two hypos together, you will make super hypos. There are so many hypo lines out there now that it’s ridiculous. Just breed for what you like.
I personally like more red and orange / high pink in my hypos.

3 Likes

There isn’t a problem crossing those bloodlines in my opinion. The “quality” will be based off the two individual animals paired, not so much the lineage involved.
There are animals born of no known lineage that could improve/add to a known lineage animal. In reality that’s how a lot of these lines are started. A superb animal pops up (or a few) in a litter that grabs the breeder’s eye and they decide to hone those physical attributes in through breeding trials, whatever traits they may be. Overtime and generations, this leads to a certain look that warrants a lineage name.

If you only outcross a line to an animal you feel can improve that line, you’ll more than likely end up with great results. I’d stay away from trying to use a quality line bred animal to “clean up” a not so quality animal. I think that’s part of what diluted some of those older line bred lineages. #1 people tried to use them to improve a project that wasn’t up to the standards of the line. #2 money grab to use the line bred name, ultimately on animals that weren’t up to the standards.

I’m not saying that’s the case with your animals. A quality orangasm hypo to a quality salmon would yield some killer animals. With the het kahl on both sides, you’ll get some cool looking possible dominant sunglows as well. Just keep in mind the ones that aren’t in albino form will have 66% het kahl. Those can be a little harder to sell with it only being a possibility, even though it’s a pretty good one.

I love pastels but haven’t bred anything myself, yet. So take that for what it’s worth. From reading around a ton, that’s basically the conclusion i’ve come to with outcrossing and will by my plan to do anything to the pastel lines I keep when the time comes. Good luck and welcome to MM forums!

2 Likes