Is Orangasm A Line of Something

I am wondering if Orangasm is a line for something. I am really considering trying to get a Orangasm Sunglow Jungle to bred later in life and was wondering this was referring to in the animal.

1 Like

It’s a bloodline of hypo originating from Frank Martin. Just like “salmon” hypos which originated from Rich Ihle.

It’s a nice bloodline that definitely translates well into albino (sunglow) projects. Tom Burke’s “Lipstick” sunglow bloodline is another great one to look out for.

Semi-unrelated fun fact - I visited Frank Martin in the mid 2000’s and picked up a male orangasm triple het hypo/anery/albino which I later traded. That male ended up producing the first visual hypo/anery/albino in his first breeding season which was dubbed the “moonglow”.

3 Likes

So does that mean I can later breed this animal to one that I do not know what blood line of hypo it comes from? And produce the same results?

1 Like

Hypo is the single gene mutation. The “bloodline” refers to the ancestry of the animal, kind of like your last name. Any boas produced from an “orangasm” bloodline will produce “orangasm” bloodline boas. There are usually some sort of unique and valuable visual characteristics developed through luck and selective breeding that determine it worth naming the bloodline. Those traits are also, generally speaking, polygenic, or controlled by multiple genes … different from single gene mutations with more predictable outcomes / statistical probabilities. I think we see less of this type of polygenic selective breeding within ball pythons because of the plethora of single gene mutations and the focus on combining them to see what happens.

1 Like

So yes I could use an “orangasm” sunglow and bred it to something that is not orangasm line of hypo and produce super hypo. Or would the value of hatchlings be low because of the mixing of bloodline? Or would that just change the appearance of the hatchlings slightly because of the polygenic thing?

1 Like

If you are going to go through the trouble of getting an orangasm line hypo, don’t mix it with another bloodline/unknown line. They will not sell for a lot, and won’t be nearly as pretty. They will likely just be bought as pets and therefore have to be sold at a price to compete with other pet quality animals. Also, I know your current boa is a hypo, but I also know he has a kink in his spine. If your plan was to breed him, I wouldn’t recommend breeding an animal with a deformity, as that means his bloodline/genetics are weak.

1 Like

No I was not ever planning on breeding Kai because of his deformities. No but I was just asking because from the fact that it is a bloodline it probably wouldn’t make much sense in mixing with an unknown or a different bloodline.