Is She Developing Eggs Yet?

I’m not experienced with leopard gecko breeding and I didn’t know if she was developing eggs yet? If she is when should I start to pair her? The pictures aren’t the greatest since there wasn’t much light.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I almost always get confused, because leos have a paired set of these things called fat bodies, and they are easily mistaken for eggs, especially eggs that don’t have totally mineralized shells yet.

I’ve generally done alright just by placing the male and female together during breeding season, then watching to see if she is receptive (it’s pretty easy to tell- either she stands still, or runs away/smacks the male with her tail).

1 Like

That’s what I was planning to do except my male isn’t mature yet. I met a local breeder who said that I could borrow a male for a bit to breed them so I could still get viable eggs.

2 Likes

That’s so cool of them! I hope it works out well- I know your young male has been hesitant to ‘go on a date’ :wink:, and I know how frustrating breeding hiccups can be.

1 Like

Here’s a better picture I got in daylight. The breeder said that she looked like she was ovulating and I should keep them together for a few days. I’m going to try that and keep you updated, hope for the best. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Well I put them together and the male (Geeko) actually showed interest. 10 minutes later and they were done and I separated them. The first time Geeko chased the female (Twinkie) on top of a hide, then he fell and in trying to get back up pulled Twinkie off. :man_facepalming: :joy: :rofl: :joy: Luckily he figured it out.

1 Like

What fantastic news!! And I agree with the breeder- that pic in daylight definitely makes me suspect she’s got some :egg: :egg:! Have your incubator ready- I’ve had my females lay very soon after breeding. Keep us updated!

:lizard: :baby:

2 Likes

I agree, at first when I was looking for eggs I wasn’t sure since it was dark (when they were active) and it was hard to see. When I checked her in the day and took a picture they were very visible. I’m actually getting an incubator from that breeder Saturday. I’m also going to finish building one so I can control how many males and females I get and possibly breed them with babies from another female. Hopefully in a couple months I’ll have a few gecko babies running around, I guess I should start working on another hatchling rack.

2 Likes