Is sweet pdz worth it?

Does anyone use this? Is it safe for keeping feeder rodents, and does it actually help with the smell?

I use this with my asfs with no issue. I use it as the bottom most layer, with pine pellets and shaved pine, (all kiln dried) from tractor supply.

I am not sure if it does a lot for the smell as I replace the substrate once a week.

1 Like

I do cleaning once a week with all my rats and mice, but the room still has a smell. Just trying to get it down some.

1 Like

Never dealt with mice or reg rats. Asfs dont really put off that bad of a smell. Depending on the amount in a bin, I have been able to go up to three weeks before refreshing the bins. Recently replacing every week, to every other week due to the amount being produced. Had to cull and freeze more often due to not being able to feed off quick enough. Only have 8 BPs and 2 little kings to feed with two colonies going. I think the combo of the three helps a lot with the smell compared to just shavings.

1 Like

Seconded on using it for ASFs, you don’t have to use much, just put it in the corners where they like to pee.

2 Likes

I have 13 balls and growing. I want to try asf rats. With 4 rat breeding tanks and 4 mouse tubs I can’t breed enough to keep up with feeding my snakes.
I’ve only been getting 1-3 litters a month, only two rats producing good litters.

1 Like

With 4 cages of rats and 4 tubs of mice I tried this on my last cleaning day.
They are usually pretty stinky in just a few days. Cleaning was Tuesday, and as of today, Sunday, it’s still tolerable.

Oh my yes. The difference is so noticeable. And it doesn’t take much.

1 Like

It really does make a difference! I’m really amazed.

My wife was talking with the girl at our local pet store while picking up cricket treats for our asf colonies the other day. The girl raises mice and rats as pets and she was shocked when my wife admitted that she kept a pair of colonies in our bedroom!

“What about the smell?”

“They don’t smell. I just clean the tubs every week. There’s no smell, just pine.”

They do make a little noise though. Especially when they’re chasing crickets, if you haven’t tried that, it’s really popular with asf. They really are very active insect hunters. A dozen crickets disappear within minutes.

2 Likes