Is this scale rot on my ball python?

Ive had this guy for 7 years now. Never had any problems with him before. He didn’t want to eat for about 2 months and in that time I mostly left him alone so I guess I didnt check him close enough the two times i tried to feed him as I just noticed this.

These are probably all related problems but i dont know as i havent been able to find anything similar online.
Firstly, as you can see in the pictures he has these darker spots around his scales.
Secondly, he has a patches of redness about halfway up his body and in those red patches his skin.
Most concerningly, the skin in those red patches seem unusually thin and loose like it could tear, but not in the way that really dehydrated snakes’ skin usually looks.

Could this be bad scale rot or something caused by malnutrition? I feel really bad.

1 Like

To me, I think it looks a bit more like a type of sepsis, not a more topical skin infection. If that’s the case, you will need to have this one on antibiotics.

What kind of habitat was this one in? humidity levels and such may help.
Ball pythons are notorious for refusing food and fasting, so I don’t think his missing meals was the reason for this… I think it’s more of the reason why he didn’t eat. Like how when we’re fighting off an infection our appetite can go off.

2 Likes

Need more information, is there a under tank heater or heat tape on thermostat? Or other heat source? And like @armiyana pointed out humidity range. Is there anything it could have rubbed on in the enclosure? Could be the start of scale rot, but could be other things as well

2 Likes

Its definitely something that is progressing, might be time to see a vet

2 Likes

More info:

Before I noticed he was in a glass terrarium with an under heat pad on a low setting (the temperature is in the mid 80s all day and night in this room). Coconut husk was the substrate. Set up was the usual two hides on each side + a water dish large enough for him to sit in + some wooden climbing sticks. It does tend to be extremely dry over here and the terrarium does have a mesh so I made sure to mist daily. He had been shedding well. Humidity would range from about 50-70% in the tank.

Since I noticed he is in a simple plastic tub (same under heat pad situation). I’m using a towel for the bottom that I’ve been change out everyday. All I’ve put in is one hide, a water dish, and a thermometer.

Thank you all so much for helping. Like I said I’ve never had a problem with him since I got him from a friend at 12 years old and this is the most unfortunate timing: I have to move in with my sister soon, but she lives in Hawaii were snake aren’t legal pets so I had been looking for a new home for him.

1 Like

You definitely did right by putting him in a quarantine type setup! I hope he improves for you!!

1 Like