Is this scalerot?

Hello! I was just wondering if this is scale rot? It’s the only spot on him, everything else is clear, and I may have sprayed him a bit generously during his last shed (it was a perfect shed, but I think I’m going to just pour water into the sides of the enclosure instead from now on) and I already ordered betadine. He’s currently on reptichip in a 40 gallon glass terrarium and I try to keep his humidity at 60% minimum. Should I put him on paper towel for now…? I can’t get any humidity that way, so I kinda just put paper towel over the substrate where he always hangs out until the substrate dries completely or I replace it. Is this ok? Thanks!

1 Like

I wouldn’t go so far as to say scale rot yet. Have you checked heat pad temps to make sure it’s not a burn?

At this point, I would just remove all the substrate keep it clean and dry, and don’t give it any substrate back until it sheds next time.

1 Like

I use a deep heat projector and the slate he’s on gets like 93 max. And okay, I’ll go ahead and do that. No betadine bath then?

I don’t know if it’s necessary, but I don’t think it would hurt to cover your bases and go ahead with a light betadine soak. I wouldn’t do too much outside that and just keep it on sterile substrate.

1 Like

This. It does not look like anything to worry too much about yet even if it is. Scale rot is born of moist environments, so letting them dry out in a sterile environment will ensure whatever it is, should heal up and not get worse.

And yes, do check the heat sources arent giving minor burns

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. Will try to keep him dry until he sheds again and maybe try a very shallow betadine bath or two until then as well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A proper diluted betadine bath definitely wont hurt to be safe :slight_smile:

2 Likes