Is this tub size okay?

Ball pythons don’t like to move, so they would naturally go off of food.

Obviously I don’t know the size of your ball python but I have a baby ball python (born this year) in what I think is a 6qt tub, I’m UK and we don’t use qt, with his little water bowl and hide

I believe in more room the better, at least for adults, our adult ball pythons love to climb and explore their enclosures.

I think smaller is usually more convenient for us than for Ball Pythons.

I think most ball pythons would thrive in bigger spaces if given enough enrichment

2 Likes

We had a few that you’ll stop feeding after moving up but would eventually eat, and others wouldn’t eat so would put back today and then give a feed and try again.
Though we also have a few who didn’t care, could be in a massive tub, just moved and would still eat that night.
My only Royal now is brilliant, he’ll eat if he’s just been moved, he’ll eat out of the enclosure or in. He’ll eat anywhere :joy:
I remember when we first got him and he was out, took a rat in the front room on the rug! :sweat_smile:

I agree with this but… As pointed out it’s going to depend on each snake as well. I have a 12 year old crystal male who is a big boy who absolutely refuses to be an ideal captive in anything except a 28 qt tub. I feel terrible because he looks crammed in there. But he will go off feed if you even change his tub. Don’t know how he can tell one clean tub from another but I assure you he can.

4 Likes

They are great with scenting. I don’t feed the snakes, they’d my husband job, they scent me then slither away thinking oh no another clean out!

It’s great as they haven’t bit me yet, although one seriously considers it, he hates his enclosure cleaned.

They are all different. Yes I prefer bigger but like I said it depends on the snake.

My honest advise if follow your gut. Try bigger for a few weeks, if your honestly worried then smaller might be best or maybe an in-between size might be better

2 Likes

This is why when I change homes I add a lot of the hides and decor (heck for some insecure snakes even some of the old bedding) into the new tub. Even if said decor and hides are to small. Snakes can get familiar quick with the way things are setup and how things are located… So a tree stump hide that’s always been in the back left corner of a baby tub needs to be in the back left of an upgraded tub.

Eventually you take out the old stuff when you notice your snake moving into the new hides completely. Sometimes they’ll go off feed because of this but even with my one ball python and her upgrades (she’s in the equivalent of a 50 gallon right now) I’ve always followed the above method and haven’t had more than a one or two meal miss before they’re right back to inhaling food.

2 Likes