Is woma present in my royal python?

Please see the photos attached.
He was sold as banana enchi woma. After some digging about the genetics I asked the shop to confirm if he was hidden woma or woma so I could be aware of looking for any wobble etc.
They said that woma wasn’t present and that it was a mislabel on their part (fair enough, no shade, mistakes happen and that’s fine) but I have noticed differences in his movement from other royals I’ve dealt with (he’s often “upside down” during handling, he has a slight wobble to his movements etc)
I’ve looked into it myself but I am far from able to positively ID it and so I hope that it can be confirmed or debunked by people who have successfully bred woma and can ID it.

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman you have a decent amount of experience with woma/HGW right?

4 Likes

Yes, he looks woma. In my opinion he would be a pet-only animal, but lots of folks here disagree about that. Either way, good on you for keeping an eye out for the symptoms.

4 Likes

Based on the headstamp, yes I would say it likely has Woma

Honestly, in all my many years of working with Woma, the behaviour in them is very minute and very infrequent most of the time. I have only had one animal that was really noticeable and he was a combo with another gene that, at the time, was not reported to be in the complex

4 Likes

I’ve worked with woma and hidden gene woma and had wobbles in both, never severe. He looks like woma to me.

3 Likes

I’ve not noticed a severe wobble by any stretch of the imagination but he definitely doesn’t move, strike etc wirh the same precision as my female and other male. Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Thank you! His wobble isn’t bad but I noticed his movement in general isn’t a precise as my female and other male royal.

1 Like

He will be pet only after reading these replies. I did get him with the idea of breeding until I properly looked into the woma gene and then asked the shop if it hidden woma or not. I almost left behind the idea of him being woma but for my own sanity and my own moral compass I’ve had to ask if it seems to be present or not as I am not interested in breeding a morph that has potential wobble issues. It’s a shame, he’s a beautiful snake but he will be cherished regardless.

3 Likes

He looks like a woma to me! :blush: beautiful animal!

1 Like