Isopod breeding enclosures

Ok, let’s see here… I’ll likely have to edit this post several times as I’m terrible with adding pics to my posts.

(1)

Details for this enclosure.

HERE is the first display enclosure I tried, which currently houses my A. maculatum ‘zebra.’ I was looking for a transparent, large box that could house a pretty big colony when I discovered these. I think I got these from Walmart online.

It is originally made as a boot box for closet storage. used my dremel to make some (rather ugly) holes in the lid and sides for ventilation, then covered both of those with screen, along with the little side-ventilation holes that it came with. Since then I have realized that typical screen has holes that are too large, and that mancae of some species might be able to escape, so I have switched to chiffon for covering any openings after seeing Rus from Aquarimax pets suggest it.

The top of this enclosure isn’t very secure and can warp an itty bit over time, and the side ventilation means you can only have a thin layer of substrate. I would never keep a significantly valuable isopod in one if these. With the holes I added, the enclosure has a ton of ventilation and stays (relatively) drier. Though I don’t like it very much, it’s worked ok for my A. maculatum ‘zebras.’ I admit that it is nice to be able to see them clearly, and they’re not a super shy species.

Other thoughts:

• it gets a B for species that require drier areas/conditions and do not burrow

• it gets a C- for species that need humidity

• gets an F for valuable species

• pros: excellent visibility, can house a large number if isopods, can be modified to have excellent ventilation, I think they are stackable.

• cons: crappy security, only allows very thin substrate, cutting through the walls (for adding holes) is a pain in the butt, probably more brittle than some other enclosures.

(2)

Details for this enclosure

This enclosure is (in my opinion) generally far superior that the last option. I have 3 of these and they’re all in circulation. I got these from Amazon.

These are boxes intended for use in restaurants for food storage. They are very very sturdy, and thus require more work when modifying for ventilation holes. Every time after working on one of these, my dremel would come to me, in tears, and ask me why I was being so mean. :joy:

They are very secure when closed correctly, but it’s a pain in the bum to get it angled just right. Opening them is much easier.

I think these might be my favorite display enclosures. Though the enclosures are not entirely transparent, I feel the ‘viewing window’ areas are more than sufficient.

General thoughts:

• gets an A when compared to other display enclosures

• gets a B+ when compared to a tub setup

• pros: ventilation can be modified to suit most species, very durable for a transparent enclosure, enclosure is designed for use in both warm and cold environments so I would feel pretty comfortable adding a heatpad for a species like Pseudarmadillo spinosus, pretty sure these are stackable.

• cons: I cannot overstate how irritating it can be when trying to open and then securely close, modifying (e.g. adding ventilation windows with a dremel) is somewhat difficult because the walls are thick, the container has clear viewing panels but parts of it are textured & translucent instead of clear, the containers aren’t quite as deep as I’d like for a burrowing species, I had difficulty getting the purchasing label material off, so I just left it, and it’s a bit of an eyesore.

(3)

Though I’m not keeping any species in these right now, these containers aren’t too bad, and I think they are (by far) the most attractive display enclosures. I think I got these from Amazon as well.

These require a tiny bit of assembly and I think you need a screwdriver for it, if I remember correctly. They have a nice depth and are sturdier than I expected them to be. I like the magnetic closure w/ the lid.

That said, this enclosure has some problems as well. Though it is sturdier than I thought it would be, it’s definitely not water/leak-proof, and I think it should only be carried by the bottom when it has significantly heavy enclosure contents. I have had one of these leak when housing moisture-loving isopods, so I suggest placing this enclosure on a towel when appropriate. (I’ve not tried using silicone to help with water-proofing.) I don’t think it would do well with a false bottom. Another issue is that the screws used for assembly can rust over time.

General thoughts:

• B+ as a display enclosure for isopods that do not require a lot of humidity

• D- as an enclosure for species that require a lot of moisture in the substrate

• pros: aesthetically appealing- very clear, not too tough to modify, has a good depth, the ‘door’ makes for a super awesome & convenient way to access your isopods.

• cons: requires some assembly, is not very sturdy and needs to be handled carefully, will leak if significant moisture is present, the screws rust.

(4)

This one isn’t worth much fuss. It’s not terrible as a tiny display enclosure, but the security of the opening is so bad that I don’t generally use it. It doesn’t retain humidity very well. I got both deeper and shallower versions, from Amazon.

General thoughts:

• F for any valuable species or species that requires humidity

• C+ when compared to display enclosures of similar size, for species that do not require much humidity

• pros: very affordable, not tough to modify with a drill

• cons: opening top must be weighted down for use, won’t hold humidity, the top of the enclosure isn’t see-through (only sides).

And, dead last:

I got this in the hopes of finding an isopod display enclosure that was stackable, but didn’t require un-stacking to access. So, essentially , drawers. I got this on Amazon.

• it sucks fir isopods- not secure, too much ventilation, flimsy, etc.
  • I never even bothered to try putting isopods in there after I finished modification.

So, those are (I think) all the display enclosures I have or have previously tried. I hope I’ve been helpful!

2 Likes