Isopod breeding enclosures

So…. Now that I’ve gotten my first batch of isopods, that I was convinced my gecko wouldn’t eat, it looks he might be eating them.

I want to try to breed some isopods, and I’d like to see what enclosures others would recommend? I know you can do tubs, like sterilite tubs, but I’d like to know what size acrylic containers work well. I’d like to be able to see them. Unless these options are just significantly more expensive, then I’ll stick with a sterilite tub for now…

Thanks!

4 Likes

I use 6 qt sterilite tubs, but I think you could easily breed some in a 6x6" enclosure. You wouldn’t be able to get a large colony in that, but you could easily breed them.

5 Likes

I finally got a healthy colony of the little fellers! Imho I don’t think it really matters that what kind of tub you use because it’s what you put inside to grow the ISOs that counts. I do believe that acrylic tubs may be more expensive but I think maybe @spottedbull posted some acrylic tubs that he had found for really cheap?

6 Likes

Yes, I got a couple of really nice acrylic enclosures from Wal-Mart. At the time I got them, they were 2 for $10. Might still be that way. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague.

There are also bigger ones. The lids don’t lock down but there is someone that makes clips on Etsy.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info on the bins and I too avoid Walmart if at all possible. I saw the clips on ETSY and ordered some a few days ago.

Thanks again David! :pray::spider:

2 Likes

This is what I am currently using for 10 milkbacks. Hoping this isnt too big. Using Bio Dude Terra Fauna substrate, leaves, sphagnum moss, cork bark, and water beads. Feeding them isopod food mix, carrots, and snake sheds.

5 Likes

Im sure this is an un-needed question, but did you add ventilations holes? That looks like a seal in the lid.

3 Likes

Dried shrimp, and or shrimp brine and pretty much any type of fresh veggies and fish flakes. Also dehydrated peas………

1 Like

I don’t have holes in mine: Another starter kit from JF’s and the container came without holes. My isopods are thriving too. Humidity from the closed tub is working…….

1 Like

And it’s a 6 or 8 quart sterilite container too.

1 Like

Ok cool. That makes sense. I thinknthat I will get back into keeping pet colonies some day. I just moved all of mine into my bioactives and gave some to some friends.

2 Likes

Isopods are fun! But mine didn’t really start to take off until I put a big piece of cork bark in with them……

2 Likes

Thats where I would always find ours, in the colonies or the enclosures.

2 Likes

Yep. I put holes in the lid. For the most part i leave the lid off when im home to maximize ventilation. The bin is tall enough they cant climb out

2 Likes

The isopod food mix has that in there. Ive heard of just using fish flakes, but have been hesitant. Figured they get decent amount of protein from the snake sheds as well. Any brand of fish flakes or certain type?

3 Likes

I used to use the tropicsl fish flakes.

3 Likes

I use the regular fish flakes. Nothing special.

3 Likes

I have tried many different types of isopod enclosures, including display enclosures, but I haven’t had the time to make a thread yet. If someone can tag me on this thread this weekend, I think I’ll have enough time to post a separate thread about all the types with pics. Though the XFL championship is a must-see :wink:

Most required the use of my dremel and some chiffon. Though, spoiler alert, for any isopod species that prefers significant humidity, I’ve found the tubs to work the best thus far.

4 Likes

Hi @mblaney . Tagging in hopes of a thread about your isopods :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the tag! I’ll do my best to get cracking ASAP. Though I’m definitely watching the XFL championship this evening. (American gridiron football.)

:wink: :nerd_face::football:

3 Likes