Issues with incubating eggs

Hi all,

This is my second season trying to breed.

Last season I got 6 total clutches between my three females, no big deal it’s my first year. All the eggs molded in incubation. I thought it was an issue with the incubator (along with some not being viable).

This season I’m starting off with a brand new digital incubator. I got my first clutch 2 days ago. I think I was late getting to the as they were pretty deflated. I candled and saw two good bullseyes so I did a quick search to see what to do about the deflating. Covered them with damp paper towel on top of using an egg box with hatch-rite. The incubator reads 27C and 85-90% humidity (by hygrometer inside). I checked them this evening and they’re molding but the deflating is looking better. I cleaned it off as gently as I could and left them uncovered. So we’ll see how they continue to develop.

What am I doing wrong at this point? I don’t expect 100% success rate but for the first clutch of good eggs to already be molding has me feeling awful.

1 Like

Are you pairing them all with the same male?

How are you incubating them? On vermiculite or pearlite? Or in one of those egg trays?

When they mold that fast it typically means the egg is infertile. I’ve had some big red bullseyes show up in some very yellow infertile eggs In the past

1 Like

Thank a for taking the time to respond.

Last season female T was paired with male R, and females A & N were paired with male J. This year I’ve paired both females T & A with male R.

Last season I used a Reptibator with a few different things. First I tried directly in vermiculite with individual containers per clutch. Then tried vermiculite with an egg box so not in direct contact with vermiculite. Then tried hatch rite both ways as well. This year I have a Vevor incubator. I’ve just had the one clutch so far and have them in the egg box with hatch rite.

They could very well just be infertile. I visibly confirmed the females paired with the male and even left him overnight with them for good measure.

1 Like

Another thing I forgot to ask is how old the females are?
I can’t remember where I’ve read it, but there’s been some anecdotes here and there about females not always laying or laying infertiles if not bred within the first few years.
I don’t know how true it is, but it seems to be the case with two girls I have. Shrug

Younger girls it’s understandable for the first season to slug out, but 2nd should definitely have a few better odds. Maybe try another couple of pairings to see if maybe it was just the first clutch.

1 Like

I’d have to check their exact ages, but The females were all proven breeders of one or two seasons before I purchased them, I gave them the year off and then tried last year and they all laid, and then into this year. They’re not young but I wouldn’t say they’re old either though I know breeding can cause them to “age faster”.

I should have another clutch in mid March from female A, so ill try pairing female T again tho.

1 Like