Ivormectin for rodents?

Has anyone here treated their rodents with ivormectin to rid them of potential intestinal parasites, i.e. pinworms? Im currently trying with ivomec (0.08%), im using 25ml per litre of drinking water. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or something similar and what doses youve used. Thank you.

You can also use 2oz of safeguard per gal of water. Then Give New untreated water after 24 hrs. Safe for pregnant rats but not recommended for under 5wk old rats. Safeguard suspension aka Panacur

My understanding of ivermectin treatment was that it does not kill the egg of pinworms therefore the treatment had to be repeated for four weeks to get all potential life cycles. Three days of treating, four days off treatment. Repeat weekly x 4

You can also use valbezen but again my understanding & I could be wrong but I thought it was not recommended for pregnant or nursing rats. You would need to treat those after their litters weaned.

2 Likes

I haven’t used it myself, I have a collie breed dog and they’re sensitive to it so I don’t want the risk… but I just wanted to stop in and say if you are dosing your rodents I would wait at least a week to feed them off just in case. That way the medication has run it’s course through the system and no risk of a sensitivity or anything harming one of your animals.

2 Likes

That is one of the benefits to the safeguard is that it’s a one day treatment making it easier to wait to feed feeders with less risk. Panacur is safe to give to Reptiles though, so you really probably wouldn’t even have to wait to feed off those feeders but it never hurts to be extra cautious.

2 Likes

Panacur is much safer, yes. You really have to be terrible at dose calculation to have an animal OD on that compared to ivomectin. Less side risk of side effects too

1 Like

What dosage would you recomend of the panacur?

Strange, i was able to get ivormectin no problem, no prescription needed, but panacur requires a prescription, boo…lol

So i found a site with this for sale, no prescription needed, will it do? Tha nks again for the help.

1 Like

Yes same as panacur just diff label. Same ingredients

1 Like

My notes have always said 2 ounces per gallon of water of safeguard. I can’t find the original site where I took that from but that’s the easiest way to do a bulk amount of rats at once. You will want to look at the concentration of the safe guard liquid that you get, because sometimes the ones labeled for cattle is different than the one labeled for goats, and the one labeled for dogs. The dosage on this website I just screenshot which is a rat care website says 10 mg per kilogram is the dosage for rats when using the 10% liquid. So depending on which one you buy, you may have to do some general math to figure out dosage for water.

2 Likes

The picture you posted above of the safe guard is the 10% one

2 Likes

2 Likes