Jumping Spider Breeding

When you (hopefully) end up with tons of little babies I will be happy to take a couple off your hands for you :wink:

5 Likes

Little update: i’ve just been laying on my floor for a couple hours just watching Venus rebuild her nest. She’s been working on it all day and it’s just been super interesting to watch. So yeah :+1:

4 Likes

Funny enough… a couple days ago….

5 Likes

Yay we can all have babies!!

6 Likes

Venus is just re-nesting! Maybe she realized she needs a larger one? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Dooo iiiiiiit. :grin:

I love widows, they’re really wonderful pet spiders.

I’m of the belief that everyone needs at least one widow spider and at least one short tailed python. :joy:

4 Likes

im seriously thinking about it lol. But shipping from the US to UK would probably cost a lot…

3 Likes

I managed to find this which could be a good option?

2 Likes

I’m uk also.

Good shop them :grin:

4 Likes

Just remember to keep things on topic with regards to the original post and thread title. :wink: Also do not arrange any buying/selling on the forum, you can always direct message each other.

As an aside- with a quick google search I found a couple jumping spider dealers in the UK. So they shouldn’t be that hard to get. I imagine the UK being so small will also make shipping faster and safer.

5 Likes

Today I found a little male jumper on my mum’s car and held out my hand to offer to move him to a bush I know is full of life and hiding spots…he looked me right in the face, looked at my hand, and jumped on for the ride!
If I ever needed a sign that I NEED a jumper in my life, that was it!

Even more excited for potential babies from these pairs now!

6 Likes

Ah sorry. Also shipping can still take a while.in the UK ans everything is mostly done through couriors. This can take a couple of weeks sometimes too.

4 Likes

Yeah, international shipping and import fees would cost many times the cost of the actual spider, unfortunately. Widows aren’t expensive to buy here in the States, presumably because they’re very common in the wild, and they’re also easy to breed in captivity (and they have lots of babies). Paying loads of money to import a $20 spider wouldn’t make much financial sense.

I have no idea if there’s anyone working with them in the UK. Do you even have any native Latrodectus species in the UK? (I know you have false widows, but those are a different genus, Steatoda.) I know there’s a species of European widow (which is stunning, btw), but I seem to recall that their range is more in the southern parts of mainland Europe.

EDIT: Sorry for merrily continuing down the Off-topic trail. :joy::person_facepalming:

Hooray for jumping spider babies!!

3 Likes

Im honestly not too sure? It can be quite difficult to get most animals in the UK tbh there arent many people breeding most types of animals.

2 Likes

Well in an attempt to get back on topic, Venus finished her new nest and has just been chilling in the same spot for a while. My jumpers seem to like to make their nests in the cap, which is good for them because they feel more secure, but bad for me because i can’t see in very well :joy: I’m just a bit worried i’ll miss if and when Venus lays her egg sac because i can’t see in her nest very well.

Edit: Could this be an egg sac? It seems quite early so i don’t think so but im not experienced in this so idk. I turned the handle on the water jug because it has like a little open bit that i can see through. I turned it to where Venus has been sitting all day and it looks interesting there. It could possibly just be poop i guess but it seems way too big for that.
Apologies for the bad picture.

Edit 2: I just cut the handle off so this picture might be better. They web definitely looks denser around the unidentified mass :man_shrugging: Maybe when she moves it’ll be easier to tell what’s going on

5 Likes

I thought I might have spotted a widow today but I wasn’t wearing my glasses and it turned out to be a daddy long legs! Lol!

4 Likes

This must be exciting!

4 Likes

Definitely looks like it could be an egg sac, but it’s hard to tell from the pictures. How long ago did they pair? I’m not sure how long it normally takes between insemination and actual laying, but I’m sure you could look that information up and get an idea if the timeline seems right (unless jumpers are one of those inverts that can lay pretty much any time between insemination and their next molt).

5 Likes

They paired on Tuesday but from what i’ve seen they can lay anywhere from the next day to like a month from when they were paired. It isn’t an egg sac though sadly. It’s just a weird thing she did with the web i guess so still on the lookout for eggs :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Maybe she was just practicing. :joy:

5 Likes