Jumping Spider Breeding

So for a while i’ve been wanted to breed jumping spiders. As i’m writing this, my Phidippus regius jumping spiders Venus and Pluto are currently being paired and it’s looking good. Pluto has been dancing all around her and has walked on top of her several times. Venus is showing no signs of any aggression and is just letting it happen. So i’m making this thread to update on my jumper breeding journey and to hopefully be able to post baby pictures in the end :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

I think jumping spiders are so cute! Ive thought about getting one for a while but im not sure where to start.

5 Likes

I think my small and managable graduation present to myself next summer will be a large size jumper like these! If you are successful, continue breeding them, and have babies when I’m ready, I’d love to purchase from you!

5 Likes

You should definitely get one!! (or two… or three :joy:) They’re such amazing creatures and so fun to watch and interact with. I got my first jumping spider Jupiter from an online jumping spider shop. She unfortunately died to i believe a bad molt but before she died i got Pluto and Venus from an expo. I started by just watching TONS of videos about jumping spiders and their care to make sure i was ready to get one. They’re super easy to care for and not too expensive. Pluto and Venus are currently housed in these empty water jugs that i just have lying around. Although i do want to get the tarantula cribs enclosures soon.

Just make sure you do research and then yes you should definitely get yourself a little cute friend!

4 Likes

Yea but the only issue i have stopping me is the availability. Here in the UK not many people breed them and currently there are none available from what ive seen.

5 Likes

Yeah i don’t live in the UK but i’m sure you could find some somewhere, just might take a little bit. I really hope you can find some!

4 Likes

Im hoping so too. I have some local pet shops I could give a try.

4 Likes

Congratulations and I so hope you are successful! I can’t wait to see the teeny tiny babies! :ok_hand::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider:

4 Likes

I hope you will be able to find some! I have several myself and they are quite entertaining! One of them waved at me a few days ago! :joy:

4 Likes

That is so cute!

2 Likes

I have to warn you that they are extremely addictive! Trust me! :spider::joy:

5 Likes

I just checked but besides tarantulas this is all there is in the UK

4 Likes

Well one of mine is one a good friend of mine gave me that he found hanging around his pool! So you might be able to catch some! :thinking::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m sure if you go on google you might be able to find local shops in person or online that might have jumpers near you. Worth a shot if you haven’t looked yet.

Edit: And you can probably find some around your house. I have tons in my backyard!

3 Likes

You cant find any in the wikd in the UK either the only way to get them would be to purchase from a shop or breeder

3 Likes

Thats worth a shot. However they cant be found in the wild in the UK

3 Likes

Ok well maybe you can find a breeder who will ship from the US?..…

3 Likes

I just checked and there arent any people who can ship one over however there is someone who can ship over a black widow lol

2 Likes

I just did a bit of research turns out there are about 37 species of jumping spider in the UK but personally ive never seen any where I live so it might be in only specific parts.

2 Likes

So i’m not sure if this is something jumpers do before laying an egg sack, but Venus has appeared to have destroyed her nest overnight. Idk if this is normal or what but it wasn’t like this yesterday.

Bonus picture of Pluto chilling in his nest

4 Likes