Jumping spider eggsac!

Picked up a female jumping spider, told it was a yellow regal, and today I found a small web had been made. So I turned it around and saw this.

Guess I’m going to have a LOT of jumping spiders. Anyone have any pointers? Wasn’t exactly expecting this.

7 Likes

I would recommend talking to @wrai because I know he has spider eggs and cares for several.

3 Likes

Make sure there aren’t any holes they can escape through, these are tiny and the biggest mistake people make with breeding these are the slings escaping.

6 Likes

Yeah there is a screen vent on the top I’ll have to cover up with some fine cheese cloth.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d recommend keeping the eggsac in there, for one, it’s not impossible to remove and incubate spider eggsacs but it is a much finer detail than managing tarantula eggsacs. And as long as your enclosure doesn’t have large enough gaps, holes, or spaces in the screen for the slings to escape from, they can stay in with the mother until they’re large enough to separate. Jumping spiders are a lot of fun and have a great personality, I wish I still had some. Congrats on the sac, by the way!

4 Likes

Yeah I was kinda excited but scared to death! Its going to be interesting!

4 Likes

How or what do you feed the slings? I’m a complete newbie when it comes to spiders and was just curious :grinning:

5 Likes

Great question!

4 Likes

Flightless fruit flies, but you’ll probably want to start out with smaller ones first, such as Melanogaster, as Hydei can be a bit intimidating to smaller slings.

6 Likes

Definitely keep us updated about these beautiful future babies!

2 Likes

This may help you some, too.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the help and advice. its gonna be a tiny adventure.

2 Likes

Updated photo from last night.

6 Likes

I like spiders but this picture makes me squirm :wink:

1 Like

Maybe this one is better. Looks like ewl’s to me!

Sorry my macrophotography with my cell phone leaves a little to be desired.

2 Likes

Yep, I think I see some legs in there too! Right on!

1 Like

Guess I better get the tiny flightless fruit flies ordered!

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re going to want to get a start on them soon, the cultures need a week or two to proliferate, with Melanogaster. If you’ve got Petco nearby, you might be able to stop in and get a culture or two there, they carry them and it’s hit or miss how well they’re doing. But if you’re going to be doing this for a while, those jars they come in are great and you can cycle through cultures as you use them, and they die off.

1 Like

Well I had to pull the little eggsac out of the little enclosure because it looked like some of the slings were about to make an escape from the web. And there’s a little mesh vent in the top. So I got the sac into the enclosure and kinda tried to free up the slings.

WAAAAY too small for that. I was worried I’d squish them. So I stopped. But they seem pretty active after I got my phone out and used the camera.

3 Likes

Alright man, way cool!

1 Like