Just curious… infertile egg?

So, I’ve had this girl for a little over a month now. I feed her every other day with different mixes of gecko diet food, and she eats like a champ no matter what flavor. Saw something in her quarantine tub this morning; thought it was just a large urate/poop but now I’m convinced it’s an infertile egg.

Editing to add: she’s about a year old. Born Nov 2022

She’s only about 25 ish grams, give or take. Pic of her and the “egg” below…. Assuming this means I can definitively say she’s a female? Lol

7 Likes

That sure is an egg.

5 Likes

Guess I’m just asking for confirmation as she seems much smaller than I’d expect to start producing eggs. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yup, defo an egg.

Some lay young, I’ve had cresties lay at 9 months, she shouldn’t be bred yet at all, but great sign for when you do pair, if you do! X

4 Likes

Definitely won’t be breeding her yet. She looks tiny compared to my male. It just threw me for a loop lol.

2 Likes

Def an egg but man is she GORGEOUS! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you @akmorphs shes getting even better with age. She’ll go with my male next year most likely.

@ghoulishcresties turns out I was wrong. She’s actually about 34-35g now. I thought my male was about 45g, but he’s actually 61g now…. lol so she’s getting closer to breeder size. Thinking when shes around 2 yo, and 45+g I’ll pair em.

3 Likes

Good weight to start!

Yup around 18 months - 2 years she can be paired! :black_heart:

2 Likes

So…. How often would be considered “normal” to lay duds?

She just dropped me another single one last night/this morning.

2 Likes

Monthly they lay. X

2 Likes

And I assume her laying 1 and not 2 isn’t a concern, as I’d imagine it just varies and especially since she’s younger, right?

2 Likes

It should be fine, but just check to be sure to check that she doesn’t have another one in her still in her

2 Likes

Absolutely fine! They can lay 1 or 2 eggs. Same with cresties :grin:

They can lay 1-2 eggs a month.

Just make sure keeping weight on fine!

2 Likes

Yeah, she seems to be empty, and it’s been almost a month since she laid the last one. My guess is due to her size she’s only carrying one instead of two, and she’s also not been paired so just infertiles

1 Like

Thought so! Thanks! And of course, she eats more than my 60g male regularly and scarfs down anything I give her lol

2 Likes