Just purchased a new female ball python

She was listed as a normal is it possible for another gene?

3 Likes

1 Like

She does have some strange markings.
Maybe some of the veterans can help you out.

Here is a Guide in asking for Morph Identification Help that will get you better results. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks I definitely appreciate it! They have a nice clutch there and there was 1 more male I saw that had some interesting markings.

1 Like

Not seeing the whole animal body + head in the same shot (stretch out) for now my answer will be normal with ringers.

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

Could be a dinker but could just be a nice normal. Does seem on the skinnier side a little bit but if you feed her regularly she should plump up just fine.

3 Likes

Ok cool. Yeah I just bought her this evening. So I will feed her tomorrow or Saturday

1 Like

That’s a very pretty normal, very unique. I don’t think she has any other genes present, however she may carry a het of some kind. When you see random blushes, especially by the tail end of the snake, in my experience those are good indications of hets.
I’d be tempted to go back to where you bought her and purchase the male you said looked a little different too. She’s really beautiful.

3 Likes

That really is a crazy pattern. As @stewart_reptiles mentioned, there is a ringer, which could be a indicator that she is het for something (most likely pied).

Either way she is a beauty.

3 Likes

This morning I was handling her and I noticed where the the blushing or ringer is, it sort of continues under the belly a lil bit.

1 Like

Would you be able to try and get a belly pic?

2 Likes

Ok cool I will when I get off work

Which is typical for ringers to do so.

1 Like

So I’m new to this ball python experience, is having a ringer a good thing when it comes to breeding or finding genes?

1 Like

It’s not a 100% guarantee that there any extra genes involved, however animals that are het piebald seem to show these more often than others.

2 Likes

Depends for example if I do a pairing that results in possible Het Pied I will absolutely hold back females or males with a ringer like this

Hypo Leopard Het Axanthic Poss Het Pied

Or this Hypo Calico Coral Glow Pinstripe Poss Het Pied

Every female or male that I held back based on ringers as ALWAYS proved out.

Now not knowing the pairing it can be a long shot and since a Female Het Pied is only $50 and a Male only $30 not something I would be interested in entertaining anymore looking at the time it could take (3 to 4 year to breeding size and up to 3 seasons to prove), I did when they were in the $500 to $1000 range and still do if they are multiple gene animals other than that I don’t.

4 Likes

So this is a male that they have there I thought was pretty interesting. They had it as a normal. Supposedly whoever they get them from already picked over the clutch

2 Likes

This is also another male they had listed as a normal. I think they they are pretty cool tho lol

2 Likes