Just thinking.... anoles

So we have a few tanks we no longer use (was used for ball python). Since i know almost nothing about anoles, i was wondering if i could get some advice.
If the kids where to catch some, how much trouble or time be involved in taking care of anoles?
Can we place several days worth of food in with them, or is it best to only introduce food daily?
(I know the kids will not stick to a daily routine.)
What is the best types of food for them and how often? I would rather get advice from here then on the internet as it can be so all over the place. Again, this is just a thought and i know almost everyone will most likely say not to catch the in the wild… again, just a wild thought i had.

1 Like

What I’ve heard about anoles is that they are much harder to care for correctly than previously thought. Just in terms of maintaining proper humidity, UVB, and other parameters. However, I have no first person experience.

Clint’s Reptiles did a video about anole care, and I consider that youtube channel to be a decent source of info (just to get started in terms of planning, before doing more intensive research).

There’s more than one type of anole and I don’t know if they require similar or different care. I have heard that Cuban Knight anoles are catching on in popularity.

The morality of keeping wild-caught animals is a pretty complex issue. I don’t want to hijack the thread, as the focus is anole care. But I will say that (1) the legality of collecting anoles where you live is worth looking into beforehand, (2) that all wild-caught animals need to be seen by a vet & treated for any external or internal parasites, especially if children will be involved in their care, and (3) most wild-caught animals are less likely to thrive and have agreeable temperaments.

6 Likes

@mblaney Lol… i actually have this video marked to watch.
I am with you on the wild caught items. I did not know about the vet part. What i have found is they are legal in this state. I was actually looking for other animals just a few weeks ago and i noticed these where not listed.
I have enough things to take care of and really don’t need more. So if more care is needed, then this wont happen. I was mostly checking before the kids catch them and want to bring them in. Thanks for your advice.

2 Likes

Adding in here for the care aspect…even with captive bred anoles it can be a hassle
It can be a lot of work to get anole to eat something like mealworms, which is the only feeder insect I would I leave in with them in bulk since you can use a dish with something for the worms to eat.

The crickets that captive anoles typically will eat can gnaw on them. Especially given that anoles can be very prone to dehydration, a dry and lethargic lizard is a cricket snack.

Unless you have a fogger setup, misting is the best way to keep anoles hydrated so leaving them for long periods won’t usually go well… Leaving humidity up with the feeder bugs and such around can lead to mold or bacterial growth as well.

They’re more trouble than they’re worth imo. Cute but more work than my snakes or leopard geckos for sure.

3 Likes

You could also go for a captive bred species of anole. There are some breeders in the states that breed all sorts of cool anole species like monkey anoles, Jamaican anoles, bearded anoles and water anoles. Once captive bred anoles can be very hardy pets and live around 20 years just like most reptiles.

4 Likes

When i was a child we had anoles but back then there wasn’t the information available today. We just kept our anoles at room temperature (inside) gave them water meal worms and crickets. Even the pet stores just sold them as we kept them.

Of course now we understand animals need to live in as close to their natural environment as far as UV, warmth and humidity.

They are guite fast runners so holding them is always a risk of escape, some are more nippy than others.

I don’t think taking from the wild is a good idea, they likely wont survive long.

Anoles are a lizard you can watch but they really aren’t much for holding.

They can be quite beautiful and its neat to see them display their colorful throats.

1 Like