Keeping anoles as renewable lizard scenters?

They’re cheap & easy care. But if you rub a pinky on them, would they regain their lizardy scent by next feeding and is rubbing sufficient to transfer that yummy goodness for picky neonates? Has anybody listening tried this – and/or has thoughts?

1 Like

I haven’t tried it with live anoles, but I’ve reused the same frozen piece of anole for a picky eater I have and she doesn’t seem to mind. At this point, I don’t even have to thaw it out. I just heat up my mouse, rub the frozen piece of anole on it and then feed her and put the little piece back in the freezer. And if you had a little colony, then you could potentially rotate them so the scent would always be fresh.

2 Likes

Excellent! Thank you for the input! :wink:

1 Like

I know Emily on Snake Discovery said she keeps toads to scent pinkies for her pickier hognoses. I could totally see keeping a lizard, or maybe two or three female lizards together if they’re social, just to borrow their scent for your other animals. Makes good sense! ( wonder if it has to be an anole, or would they accept say, leopard gecko scented stuff, since then the gecko could be a second pet and little buddy for you, too. Anoles aren’t known for being very personable but hey they might be.)

1 Like

This would work well, the scent of the anole would transfer onto the mouse, every time you fed it would have new scents. You might need to work on training a little bit since I doubt most anoles are going to sit and let you rub a mouse on it.

Don’t you mean that it “Makes good scents!”. :stuck_out_tongue: I couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

I’ve individually marked over 500 Sceloporus for long-term field identity. I think I can wrangle some captive anoles for the short-term. Make a slip-knot on a stick with unwaxed tooth floss & voila.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to keep the actual, living, fresh lizard for other reasons I have had success like Olivia @solarserpents with using frozen, though I use gecko tails rather than anole. There are oodles of Mediterranean house geckos where I live. When have a stubborn baby, I grab a flashlight and go on a hunt not long after dark. It’s usually pretty simple to catch a gecko or two. I get a scenting tool and the gecko gets to go on about its life. Win-win.

2 Likes

My pet crested gecko just recently dropped her tail. I was bummed about it, but I still stuck it in the freezer just in case!

3 Likes

Waste not, want not, right? And you didn’t even have to prowl around outside with a flashlight and risk being taken for a burglar!

3 Likes

Haha, I’ve done that plenty too!

3 Likes