Keeping young Thamnophis species together (both sexes)?

Hey guys, I know that garters are a communal species and was wondering if I can keep two different species (1 female and two males) together if they’re all young/this years babies? I would separate them after they get a bit older, but wanted to see if it would be okay as I have read that they do better communally when young. Would eventually like to get a second of the other species so they can be kept together.

Any input/comments appreciated!

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about garters but I wonder about 2 males and a female of anything kept together? :thinking: @noodlehaus?:thinking:

I believe it should be 2 females and 1 male to prevent fights. Just sayin………:blush:

3 Likes

It should be perfectly fine but as with anything being kept communally, make sure they are around the same size and keep a close eye on them for a little while as they are wild animals and even with species that do better together, certain ones may not do good with another one

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! From what I’ve seen/read garters are the exception. I’ve heard of multiple of the same sex/species kept together just fine and even recommended. Just unsure about different species/if it could lead to conflict that way as I know that sometimes introductions from different clutches can lead to a bit of a tussle. Was looking for reassurance because although I’ve heard it’s ok, I wanted to get some updated input haha.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely keep an eye on them.

3 Likes

So you can keep them together, however, you might find the unrelated species doesn’t do as well as the same species pair. I’d also say be aware of their sizes and know that you can have issues communally feeding anything if they try to steal food from each other. Otherwise it should be fine.

3 Likes