Kenyan Sand Boa Morph

I just received my Kenyan Sand Boa. This is the first snake that I’ve ever owned. I’ve done research over the past couple of years but one thing that I’m still not sure about is the morph terminology. The info on his container says Erco Albino Ph Anery. Can someone please tell me exactly what this means? Thanks!

2 Likes

Not sure what erco is, but albino is lack of pigmentation in the body, and ph stands for possible het. So it’s a possible het for anery, which is missing red pigment.

Wow, thank you! I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Np! I’m more of a hognose person, but am always willing to help when I can <3

That was actually going to be my second choice but they seemed a little too feisty to me lol. Beautiful animals nonetheless!

1 Like

In KSB there are also two different lines of albinism. Bell albino and paradox albino. If your sand boa has any dark/black spots or “splatter” randomly appearing on it then it is referred to as paradox albino. It can be as little as one small dot (low expression paradox albino) or covered in black/dark spots (high expression paradox albino). If there are no visible black/dark spots and you are unaware of there being the paradox albino trait in either of your animals parents then you’ve probably got a bell albino! Do you have any pictures you could share?

PS: paradox albino and bell albino are different genes. So a paradox albino bred with a bell albino would create normal individuals.

1 Like

Based on what you’ve explained, I’m assuming he’s a bell albino because he doesn’t have any dark marks

. The pic isn’t the best but it’s all I have right now.

1 Like

Based on what’s shown, I would agree! Welcome to the club, you’re gonna love your sand boa. They’re such goofy characters.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m super excited for this adventure but also a little nervous. I’ve never had a reptile before and I don’t want to mess it up because I’ve been wanting a KSB for sooo long. I’m probably gonna be on this forum quite a bit asking questions.

3 Likes

The snake in question is probably a Bell albino, but I’d just like to point out that occasionally a paradox albino will be born without paradox spots. It has happened to me. These animals can’t be told apart from Bell albinos visually. That’s why it’s important to know what the parents of your snake were and ask all of your questions to the breeder before taking your new snake home.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m not worried about his morph to that extent. I have no desire to breed him or anything. He’s simply my pet. I was just trying to gain an understanding. Thank you though.

1 Like