(Kinda) New Rattlesnake

Got word a few months ago about this animal but only recently had time to go pick it up about a month ago.

This beautiful Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus Oreganus Oreganus) was surrendered by a family who (legally) collected it as a neonate, but didn’t feel qualified to care for it at the size it’s reached. Being a wild caught animal it’s extremely alert and always ready to eat so if you’re not a confident safe handler, it’s a handful. If you open the enclosure, it’s right up in your face immediately, unless you manage it. I have to commend the family who had it though. Despite not having the safest enclosure they did keep it pretty well otherwise. They also had the good sense to realize when they were out of their league and get it to someone experienced.

Not currently named since I haven’t taken a close look at sex yet, but here it is.

19 Likes

He is beautiful! Congratulations! Rattlesnakes are some of the coolest snakes. If I ever try to get into venomous, I would love to have a rattlesnake (even though there are so many different types of rattlesnakes to chose from lol).

5 Likes

I have no desire to personally keep any medically significant hots, but I can see why they’re appealing. That is a gorgeous snake.

6 Likes

That’s one beautiful rattlesnake right there! In my opinion though, nothing beats speckled and banded rocks.

3 Likes

They’re probably my favorite snake. This particular species is my only local Rattlesnake and are usually kind of ‘boring’ as far as buzz tails go. They tend to be pretty chill and while there several color phases most of the ones you see are pretty drab. This one is one of the prettier examples of a WC NorPac for sure, but a little more keyed up than average. Last season I got a removal call from a woman who stepped on one in shorts and sandals and it just rattled and fled. Typically they’re pretty non confrontational.

3 Likes

I really love the natural looks but some of the morphs are pretty cool. Being in Florida and not planning on leaving, the requirements for the permits are pretty hard to obtain but I understand why of course, I wouldn’t want someone without knowledge or hours get them as a pet either. But, really, maybe I will try to get a hold of Mr. Wolf in the years to come and search out further advice, tips, and more then likely a mentorship.

2 Likes

Gorgeous snake! I love rattlesnakes, but have zero desire to keep them myself. When I’m dealing with feisty non-venomous snakes, I usually calm my nerves by reminding myself, “Hey, even if it bites you, it’s hardly the end of the world. It might hurt a little, but so what, you’ll survive.” That mantra doesn’t really work as well for snakes with medically significant venom, haha.

But congrats on such a beautiful animal! I’m glad it has found a good home with you.

5 Likes

Hard to find someone better to learn from! Have you checked out his new podcast with Nipper? It’s called Venom Exchange Radio. The second episode should drop soon if it hasn’t already!

No not quite lol. I grew up on a small farm in an area that was thick with them and my dad guided bear hunts so I was exposed to them constantly and developed a ‘comfort’ level with what they were capable of as a kid. As with many I was taught to kill them but only if they were around the kennels or the livestock. I volunteer locally and for the county doing removal/relocations to atone for the sins of my past I suppose.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t, but I will definitely check it out! I like his Venom Etiquette channel but I wish there was more content. It is really hard to find keepers that make YouTube/podcasts with the safety protocols that I would want to uphold, like Mr. Wolf.

2 Likes

Gorgeous snake, and I am glad the family did find someone who was more experienced with a snake that size.

3 Likes

Beautiful snake, wish I could keep venomous rn.

2 Likes