Labeled as a Armadillo Lizard... But what is it really?

Ah, i figured it wasnt the same since the scientific name was different. So many similar lizards haha, its cool looking, at least we can all agree there xD

2 Likes

To make things simple she is a Dwarf Armadillo Lizard. Gotta order a online fecal to be done to make sure sheā€™s not carrying anything that could get to my snakes. Sheā€™s not housed anywhere near them but I donā€™t wanna risk my main collection with all the investment in them.

But so far she is showing her intelligence. When the heat bulb I put in wasnā€™t getting hot enough she decided to just cling to the lid under it off and on all day. Sheā€™s found her drinking/soaking dish (unsure if sheā€™s a dry shedder or wet one) and is making great use of all the various branches covering 75% of the verticle space.

3 Likes

That does look like an armadillo lizard, just not an armadillo girdled lizard.

1 Like

the pet trade name for Cordylus tropidosternum is the Forest Armadillo Lizard.

We use to sell those for $25 each back at a Petco I use to work at in high school (around year 1997 ?) then they disappeared from the import list due to regulationsā€¦ and are now recently making a comeback at around $75 -$90 each in pet shops as of today 10/07/2021.

FYI the ā€œrealā€ armadillo lizard that goes for $ 3000 each is the Ouroborus cataphractus aka the Armadillo girdled lizard which you will never see in this lifetime at your local big box pet shop.

3 Likes

These are considered beraducci, not jonesi.

So common name would beraducciā€™s armadillo lizard.

1 Like