Labeled as a Armadillo Lizard... But what is it really?

We bought this little guy today. Labled as an Armadillo Lizard but not sure. Looking for input so I know care will be correct.

6 Likes

We have him currently in a twenty gallon with a 10.0 UVB as well as a ceramic heat bulb. Got a decent gradient for the UVB and Heat. He’s got tons of places to perch, hide, dig, ect. Got crickets ready to be gutloaded before feeding.

5 Likes

Defo not an armadillo lizard.
Unsure why it was sold as that.
I’ve been trying to find yours online but can’t seem to find one that looks like him. I shall keep looking :joy:

5 Likes

I didn’t think he was lol but now trying to find proper care is key. Right now got him on a decent high heat and a misted tank.

3 Likes

I’ve asked on a Lizard chat I’m on for you. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sudan Plated Lizard! Likely an import to if I had my guess. Fecal scans all around!!

7 Likes

I’ve got it!

east african spiny-tailed lizard - Cordylus tropidosternum.

2 Likes

Strike both of those??? Transvaal Girdled (Armadillo) Lizard

2 Likes

Not that. Heads too flat, snout too long.

2 Likes

Not a Sudan plated lizard. This is one of them>

sudan-plated-lizard-large

4 Likes

Looks like that^

1 Like

Right made a mistake thanks to a random forum post. It’s this one

1 Like

It’s the same species as the one I sent but a different type. There’s a lot of girdled lizards apparently upon looking.
That one you sent isn’t the same as yours you have, head shape, eyes etc are different.
So looking through again, it’s the eastern spiny tailed lizard. Which is also known as the tropical girdled lizard. Have a look :blush:
Also they’re usually imported over from tanzia where they often get called armadillo lizards by them over there because of the look, which is why yours may of been sold as that. But they’re not armadillo lizards, don’t grasp tail in defence etc.
Interesting read :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve totes been reading since posting. Fascinating critters. Eventually gonna have to upgrade to a 40 long it seems. And they eat greens similarly to a bearded dragon, just not as much.

1 Like

Yes! I thought that as well

3 Likes

They are!

They’re also arboreal so will need a taller one too! :blush:

3 Likes

Semi arboreal I thought. But either way they’ll get tons of climbing opportunities for sure.

2 Likes

I just can’t see that lizard in a girdle…

5 Likes

This is my guess. They are often mistaken for the one you think it is, and the pet trade name for this one is jones’s armadillo lizard.

4 Likes

That’s the name for the one I sent. That’s what they get called in Tanzia.
So you just got same one :sweat_smile:

But yeah that’s the eastern spiny tail.

4 Likes