Ladder snake help

Hello new here, I’ve a ladder snake which I got a few weeks ago.
It was eating defrosted fuzzy mice then all of a sudden stopped eating.
I tried scenting the fuzzy with sawdust from a hamster cage and it still completely ignores it.
It hisses if I dangle it in front off its face and strikes but doesn’t eat.
So any tips for getting it to eat again.

1 Like

Sounds like it is stressed and scared. How often do you try to feed? Is this a captive bred animal as well?

1 Like

I’m unsure if it’s captive bred or wild caught as pet shop didn’t mention.
1st few weeks it fed when I left the food on warm part of the tank. I’d walk away and it’d eat.

I try it every week with food.

I agree that it sounds like stress, did you change anything in the room like moving the rodent freezer, getting another reptile, etc? Can you add a picture of the enclosure and snake?

3 Likes

If it was from a pet shop, given it isn’t a common species, it was likely either wild caught or farm bred (not much better than wild caught). A vet visit and a fecal test wouldn’t be a bad plan to rule out anything internal. Seeing his setup would also help.

3 Likes

The only thing I can think of that has changed is the frozen food supply, meaning pet shop I got it from gave me some frozen fuzzy and my local pet shop that I go to regularly for food I got some from.
I’ll add I’m in Ireland so snake was purchased in a different county than the 1 I am in.

A picture of the full enclosure is needed, not just a close up.